Worried about my babies.....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nina7777

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok so my problem is, My bala's although only 6 and 7 inches scare too easily in my tank. I have put up background on the back and sides of the tank, but they are still hurting themselves. They just moved recently from a 30 gallon to a new 55 gallon. They didn't scare hardly at all in the 30 gallon and seemed happier in their, despite their large size. I thought a 55 gallon would make them even happier, but everyday they jump and hurt themselves. In the past week my largest bala has scraped his eye twice. He did it once, and it healed and this morning he did it again. For some reason it is only when the lights are out that they get scared.
Should i be leaving the lights on whenever we are home?
They have plenty of space for swimming as I do not have very many ornaments or plants, nor fish.

Do you think there is anything I can put over the filter intakes so that they don't scrape themselves anymore.

Or do you think it is time to trade them in......? I am worried if I trade them in that they wont get taking good care of. I mean what if i trade them and they end up in a smaller tank than they have now. Also mine are quit spoiled, on a diet of flakes, plankton, blood worms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets, meat tablets, seaweed, tubifex worms, and zuchini. Or what if i trade them and somebody like my aunt (who has a 150 gallon tank but only cleans it once every 6 months) takes them?

I am just worried about them.......I don't want them to die, and I have heard that if they scare to often that they will die of a "heart attack". plus the problem of always hurting themselves.

What do you guys suggest.......I am sorry this is so long, but i have been feeling extremely guilty the past few days. I only want the best for them :-(

Well.......i think i fixed this problem with my briliant scheme! LOL.....

I cut the filter intake tubes so they don't go down as far, then since the heater is submerible I turned it horizontal instead of vertical. Seems to be working, as they have alot more swimming room on the back of the tank now.

You say your tank has no plants etc. Bala's, as you have noticed, are very skittish. They like a lot of swimming space but will get very jumpy in a tank without any cover for them to hide in if they feel threatened. You may want to think about that and see if it applies.

No I have three plants and 1 large rock and 1 large treasure chest. I just meant that there weren't too many plants ansd stuff cluttering up their swimming space.
They like hiding behind the big rock. :D

Most reactions

Back