Wood

fish.com1

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire
Hi

if i got some wood from a living tree for my tank how would i make it aquarium friendly? Would i boil it a few times then submerge it in water for a few weeks.

thanks
 
I intend to do just that. This fall I will be cutting around a branch completely, girdling it, so that it will die and dry out in place. Some time next year or the year after it may be dry enough for me to try it in my tank. I presently have a piece of apple wood in one of my tanks that dried up that way.
 
I boil mine at least twice and then let it soak in the bathtub submerged for a couple of weeks to leach the tannins out. I change the water every few days or so with fresh hot water. If your wood floats which it probably will, then use a something heavy to keep it down.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top