Won’t eat food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a female nothobranchius flammicomantis been eating anything I have given it. She had always avoided feeding and always hid out at the other parts of the tank. I thought it was okay as I presume they are not restricted to feeding at the top part of the tank. I realised she was much thinner than when I had first gotten her after a few weeks so I immediately placed it in a breeder tank so that it would sort of force it to eat. However, since then she has only eaten one pellet and nothing else. I have no idea on how to solve this problem. Has anyone encountered this before and how have you resolved this problem? Could I try giving it shrimp? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long text.

Have you tried live or frozen food?

Try live and frozen foods as suggested by @CaptainBarnicles

Make sure the water quality is good (no ammonia,nitrite or nitrate).
Make sure the pH, GH and KH are suitable for the species.

Treat the fish for intestinal worms and gill flukes. See section 3 of the following link for information about deworming fish. Most dewormers also treat gill flukes.

Let the fish out of the small container and put it back in with the others so it isn't stressed.

Have lots of plants in the tank and a picture on the back of the tank so the fish feels more secure.

The ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all very low. Ammonia is zero, nitrates are zero, low nitrates. Normally she would not eat but I have another male killifish of the same species which always eats. I don’t know whether she would eat if let her out but could also be because I have quite a number of more enthusiastic fish(would always rush for food). Would freeze dried shrimp work? The tank is a planted tank which has a fern in the centre which I suspect where she stays at most of the time. I also have another plastic decoration, driftwood and this clay-like cave.

Most killifish are fed frozen (but defrosted) or live foods and many breeders only give them a bit of dry food occasionally.

Try frozen foods first, then live and once the fish is eating well and gaining weight, try dry foods.

Oh thanks for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for frozen food? I have no idea what to buy

You can buy frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms, daphnia, and marine mix (contains prawn, fish & squid blended up) from most pet shops. They are sold in small blister packs and you keep them in the freezer until needed. then pop out 1 frozen cube and defrost it, then feed to fish a little bit at a time.

You can buy frozen prawns/ shrimp from a fishing store (bait section) or supermarket (seafood section) and keep them in the freezer. Each day you take a prawn out and defrost it. Remove the head, shell & gut (thin black tube) and throw these bits away. Use a pair of scissors to cut the remaining prawn into small pieces and offer 1 or 2 bits at a time. Let the fish eat until full and then remove uneaten food.

Make sure you have an established biological filter when using frozen foods because they can create a lot of ammonia and the filter needs to be able to remove it.

You should also do lots of big water changes when feeding more to keep the tank clean.
make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back