Woke Up To A Dead Fish This Morning

Tropical_Fish

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
423
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Staffordshire
Had fish in my tanks now for 5 weeks with no problems, all seemed very healthy and I've also had fry during this time.

My tank was properly cycled with a fishless cycle before hand.

This morning one of my male guppies was stuck to the inlet strainer for the filter.

I used the gravel vac to suck him out then tested the water.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
pH 7.5

So the stats all look fine to me, I've never seen another fish chase this one, he's always seemed happy and looked healthy.

Is there anything else I need to do? or check?

The tank is due it's weekly gravel vac tomorrow so I'll do that as usual, just wanted to make sure I'd done everything possible to make sure no more deaths occur!

Cheers
 
to b on the safe side ... do a water change 2day and tomorow... 50 peercent both times.... is the temperature ok ? any other fish look ill?
 
maby the intake was too srtong for him.. i found a neon tetra on mine once... was totaly puzzled for a few days.... then a few weeks later the all died...


could have been an internal infection
 
The intake is strong (it's an external 1000L/hour filter) but they don't seem to have any problem with it even the fry can swim away from it. I would guess it's more likely that the dead fish would have drifted along in the current to the intake
 
maybe your neons died of neon tetra disease
 
All other fish are behaving normally and no signs of illness - all happy and no more deaths.

Water stats still perfect so I'm hoping it was just a one off?
 
I've had odd bad luck with guppies also. In some part of the fish other world I am sure I am known as the "Guppy Killer." Odd since all sorts of other fish have turned out fine for me. Perhaps you just have the curse?
 
All fish still alive the only thing I have noticed since is that another guppy (very similar to the one that died) has a little bit of tail damage.

The end of the tail looks normal but there is a little split into the tail, looks like a clean split rather than fin rot, not sure how it happened.

But all other fish look fine, no fish chasing the others around, all the fry are doing well and growing nicely.

All eating well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top