Woke Up This Morning...

Channti

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Woke up this morning, turned on the lights in my 15 gallon tank, to find my pair of dwarf gourami at opposite ends of the tank (as usual), but neither approached the front of the glass when the lights went on... highly suspicious.

I went looking for them (quite a feat in that tank, a TON of hiding places)....

I found Bella first. My female dwarf gourami has a small cut, vertical on her body, on the right side, about 1/3 the total height of her body long. It looked as thought it had bled at some point but had healed up over the few hours before I turned on the lights. It doesn't look to be serious... just a minor surface thing.

Boris was more difficult to find. Once I found him, I coaxed him to the front of the tank so I could examine him. His left side, below his mouth, about where his stomach is(?) had a small cut (about 1/3 the size of Bella's cut) but it had a scab on it. Only about the size of a pin head, but a scab for sure. Still didn't look very serious though.

Neither has been behaving any differently after I'd coaxed them out and checked them out. Both have been happily swimming around and as inquisitive as always.

I added melafix and pimafix to the tank the second I noticed it, as well as a cap ful of my water conditioner as it's supposed to help with restoring slimecoat. The tank was completely cleaned (as in... 90% water change on Sunday as it was moved to a new location), so I'm not too worried about it getting infected. The only thing I've done differently with the tank besides the move was adding blanched zuchinni and cucumber slices every couple days (removing after six hours) for my otocinclus to eat (as they've cleaned me right out of algae and they refuse to eat algae tabs). I know the gourami have been tucking into the zuchinni and cucumber (or at least Boris has, but I'm certain Bella has gotten her fair share too).

Is there anything I can do for them besides Melafix/Pimafix and water conditioner? Is there something better that I should be using as opposed to water conditioner, Melafix and Pimafix?

This is reposted from the Tropical Fish Emergencies...:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bella's cut is only visible if you KNOW it's there and look really closely. She appears to be healing up nicely and is continuing to exhibit her normal (extra-large) appetite, so I'm certain she'll recover fully.

Boris's wounds will take a little longer to heal up. His "wound" actually looks more like three separate cuts in a triangle (based on how it's healing). It looks like it's healing up nicely. The cut itself has changed colour to a more bruise-like colouring, as though its slowly healing.

I'm continuing to add Melafix, Pimafix and Water conditioner daily to the tank until I no longer see any injury. I'm due to have a water change Sunday night, but I've been discouraged from putting my hands in the tank due to some meds I'm on from an allergic reaction... so I'm thinking I'll supervise my little brother while he does it (he's 16... so he should be capable).

Looks like Boris and Bella are going to make a full recovery! (provided there are no more lover's spats before they both finish healing). I'm half-tempted to split them up and move Bella into my guppy tank until Boris makes a full recovery, but I feel like she'd get nippy with the fast-moving energetic guppies.

I spoke too soon...

While Bella will make a full recovery, Boris died of what appears to be internal bleeding in the night.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back