Will You Pay For Higher Standards In Food Production?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mmmm that KFC pic has made me hungry....

I wonder if the raw ingredients will make you feel as hungry;

How about battery chicken with prolapsed duct;

batterychickensick1.jpg

Or chicken marinated in filthy cage;

batterychickensick4.jpg

batterychickensick2.jpg

Or perhaps just a side order of dead and dying battery chickens;

batterychickensick3.jpg

Only a starving dog would find this appetizing...Funny though how when you dress it up as a KFC meal, everyone wants to eat sick distressed animals like these.

I have a true story for you. Here's some food for thought;
One day a women comes into the doctors clinic complaining of a sore throat. The doctor examines her mouth and throat and then starts to ask her a few questions, like "have you had oral sex recently", to which she answers "no". The doctor then asks if she's eaten anything funny recently, and she replies "well yes actually- about two days ago i ordered a Mcdonalds burger with majo and salad, but when i ate a bit of it, it tasted really funny and so i chucked it in the bin". The doctor muses for a few moments and then asks the lady if the burger is still in the bin- she says yes and he asks for her to bring it in to test it (he also takes a swab from her mouth for testing as well).
Anyways it turned out that she had herpes, and that when the burgar was tested, it turned out that the mayo had the cum of 5 different guys and this is how she got the herpes.

And BTW, i've worked in enough food factories in the past to know that all the myths of sphincters and snouts going into the cheap meat products are really true (i will never touch scotch eggs again "shivers"...).

edit: A rescued factory chicken;

barnrangechickenrescue.jpg

Hopefully one day (if its not too far gone) it will look as happy and healthy as these chickens- this is what chickens should be like, free range;

freerangechicken.jpg

freerangechicken3.jpg

freerangechicken9.jpg

freerangechicken10.jpg

freerangechicken11.jpg

When it comes to eating meat, my view is this: It has been proven that we do not need to eat meat to lead a healthy diet. So eating meat is not a necessity- because of this, if we do eat meat, it remains a fact it is purely down to personal choice. Due to this, the excuse "I know battery farm products are cruelly produced but i'm too poor to eat free range" is not a viable excuse from an ethical/moral standpoint.
If you don't buy any chicken products, you are not really affecting the current sate of events either way. But as soon as you buy free range or battery range etc, you are making an ethical/moral statement (as long as you are aware of what is involved in these different farming methods of course), or at least an effect in support of either industries. So IMHO if someone is truly against battery farming, and is truly in favor better treatment for chickens, then they will buy free range over battery range whenever they realistically can- if they can't buy free range, then they will still avoid buy battery range if they have the choice too.

Hence why I believe that if someone chooses to eat meat, then they have a responsibility to ensure that, wherever possible, the animal products they buy come from animals that have been looked after properly.

In this sense, meat is a luxury of sorts, and a luxury at the cost of an animal's life (to put it bluntly) so the consumer should choose free range over battery.

I like the taste of them and will continue eating them if and when I want to.

Some people seem to use their tastebuds before their brains and cannot see past the batter and bbq sauce. Even if you couldn't give a dam about whether the chicken had a good quality of life or not do you really fancy the idea of eating something that had half the feathers pecked off it's backside, had a concoxion of antibiotics and growth hormones (which could contain arsenic) and wallowed around in s*** and chicken corpses all day?
Or would you rather eat a chicken that as well as having a better quality of life can get away from other chickens, is not grown so fast that its legs break under the weight of itself, can roam around more and build up muscles etc naturally and doesn't require nearly so many treatments to fend off the onslaught of potential diseases that they would face in a battery farm?

I don't understand why people say "I can't afford free range but I like eating at KFC and McD's" because when you buy something from these places you are also paying for other people to make it for you and serve it to you and wrap it up for you etc etc. Is it that difficult to put a burger between two bits of bread or cover chicken in a bit of batter that you have to pay for someone else to do it for you? Make it yourself and use free range.

Yep, still fancy that KFC. Or a McFlurry. Does that count? Or how about large fries with a banana milkshake? And a beef burger....with mayo and gherkins and lettuce yummy...

Yep, still fancy that KFC. Or a McFlurry. Does that count? Or how about large fries with a banana milkshake? And a beef burger....with mayo and gherkins and lettuce yummy...

The milkshake counts. they put raw chicken feet in it to thicken it.

Yup, thats chicken feet that have waded through chicken sh*t and dead bodies.........mmmm tasty! :D

In that case I will swap the milkshake for a large coke, nowt wrong with a bit of syrup and soda water!!

Nothing wrong with coke that way it's only you that will damage your health through too much sugar caffeine and chemicals and not any animals ;)

:huh:

elaborate please I'm confused about what that's meant to mean.

nvm, it was a joke...

people are saying that she cant get meat, coke, or milkshake from MacDs.....

:huh:

elaborate please I'm confused about what that's meant to mean.

nvm, it was a joke...

people are saying that she cant get meat, coke, or milkshake from MacDs.....

Vegetables? lol

Don't support McDs or similar basically, it's not the source of all food!

Well, I'm not sure and not too bothered either way.

I only take what anyone says on the internet with a pinch of salt anyway unless I've met them.
I love this, the holier than thou, you should do what I do because I think it is right approach. Basically, the one doomed to failure. :D

First up: what I buy. I know that even free range products have some questionable standards, as in some can be just barn range with a couple of hours a day outside. As a result all my poultry products are organic (though in truth I only buy eggs and chicken breast). My bacon I tend to buy in the cheapest form available without dropping to Tesco Value. Other meats are seldom bought but I will try and get organic, or as close to as possible.

However, saying you can go without meat is an interesting prospect. I know that CFC has a very active and strength related job, that means he needs well built and effective muscles which makes his diet have a higher protein requirement than someone who sits in an office.

I do a lot of heavy lifting in the gym and I guzzle through about 200gms or more a day of protein. If I didn't have a cheap source of whey protein then I would be having to eat loads of cheap chicken breast, there would be no way I could afford to source the protein I need from organic meat for that rate. If one is not prepared to guzzle protein shakes (and they can get pretty annoying at times) then cheap protein becomes essential. At this point one cannot just say "eat meat less often", not if (unlike me) it can affect one's job and thus ability to earn.

Now I know the above is an unlikely and extreme example, but there are myriad reasons why people do not choose to eat organic/free range foods.

I think that while Toxis' heart is in right place, the method is destined to fail. People do not like to be told what to do, especially in their own home. Gentle persuasion and small goals is a much better method. Rather than bemoaning Arfie for going into KFC, enjoy the fact he purchases free range at home. AND whatever you do, do not tell someone they should be able to cook because you do :) That just reminds me of an art teacher telling me that everyone can draw, just watch how she does it when I know for a fact that I cannot.

Let us also address the lack of time. While we in Britain spend the lowest portion of our paycheck on our food, we also spend the longest amount of time at work. I leave the house at around 6:15 in the morning and often don't return before 20:10. The last thing on my mind is to cook a full meal from raw ingredients. Were it not for my wife I know for fact that I would be eating convenience food far more often.

Face it, every one is different, while some care about animal welfare, others put themselves first above all other matters and then there are the millions of shades of grey in between (such as me).

And so, I come to the original simple question: Will you pay for higher food standards? Well, as we saw at the start, I will, but I also understand why others think differently. I even sometimes try and convince people of why they should change their shopping habits, but I don't hammer the point too much.

I personally value my life over an animals. Look at the rising fuel prices. I would rather pay for the fuel over free range. The pictures honestly do not bother me much. There is much violence directed towards us humans. We have gangs, we have mass murders, we have terrorists, heck, we've even had concentration camps. That concerns me more than how my food was put on my plate. Honestly, if it came to saving one person or 10000 animals, I'd save the person.

Well, I'm not sure and not too bothered either way.

I only take what anyone says on the internet with a pinch of salt anyway unless I've met them.
I love this, the holier than thou, you should do what I do because I think it is right approach. Basically, the one doomed to failure. :D

You seem to have quoted something I said on a different thread ;)

Honestly, if it came to saving one person or 10000 animals, I'd save the person.

Well obviously I think everyone would in their right mind would but this is down to a far more simple choice than that. You seem to have misplaced the issue here, of course street crime and murders are more important but that's a whole different issue! If by buying battery products you are somehow stopping all crime in the whole world then fair enough but I doubt you are so it doesn't make any difference.

edit: Interesting how you've chosen to put such a remark in your signature to avoid actually saying it in a post. The rising fuel prices is not an excuse if you still go to a fast food restaurant to pay people to make the stuff for you.

question for Tokis-Phoenix - on ur profile it says "enjoying my smokes". what does this mean?
if its what i think it is (smoking) then surely you're animal rights ethics are off. don't they force lab animals to smoke to see the damage they do?? isn't breathing out smoke harmful to others and the environment??
my apologies if i'm wrong about the meaning of your profile btw but if i'm right , then no apology at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back