Will Upside Down Catfish & Cories Live Peacefully?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kimbowee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 33gal tank which houses 2 Male Dwarf Gouramies, 5 Hatchetfish, and 3 Upside Down Cats. I am looking to add 3-5 Cories. I haven't decided yet if it would be Bronze, Panda or Pygmy Cories. After watching these guys I would really like to add a couple to the tank.

I have been researching and can't seem to find anywhere to tell me if there would be any problems between the cories and the cats. The tank has plenty of hiding places with driftwood, caves, a couple of clay pots & lots of plants. The tank is 3 feet long so there is plenty of room on the bottom. Has anyone tried this before?

If cories won't work will 3 ADF's? I really have my heart set on cories though. Maybe someone has another idea.

I have tried planetcatfish & a couple of other sites which all tell me that neither species is aggressive, but don't tell me if they would get along together.

Let me know what you guys think. :p

no i don think that they would fight.. and if they did... it would be really funny watching an upside down fish bullying another fish... :S :lol:

Personally I can't see any problem with that at all :) I've kept that combo before (with Pepper Cory cats) with no probs whatsover. If, like you say, you have lots of hidings spaces etc. I think they will all get along quite happily indeed.

My current USD cat share's it's piece of bogwood with a Kuhli Loach, an L200, a CAE and 2 Botia Kubotai.

They're both peaceful fish. I don't think they'll give you any problem at all.

Very cool! :thumbs:
I wasn't really interested in Cories until I really started paying attention to them at the LFS. Then I hear everyones stories on here about how cute they are and all the cute things they do. I went Saturday to get food & must have been watching them for at least an hour. The girl that was working sure was trying to sell me some. :)

I went again yesterday just to watch 'em. :*)

I like the peppered Cories too, but thought they may be a tad too big. I would really like to get 5, so was leaning more towards Pygmy cories as they are smaller. Adding 5 Peppered would be pushing 42" of fish if they all grew to 3". Not sure how big of waste producers the cories & the cats are. I am not looking for water quality issues.

Now only prob is I have to wait until next payday which isn't until the 14th. :( Oh well, gives me more time to research.

Thanks for the input!

I went Saturday to get food & must have been watching them for at least an hour.

I like the peppered Cories too, but thought they may be a tad too big.

Personally I don't see a problem with that - depending on your filtration and tank maintenance of course. If that' up to scratch and tip top, I think you should be fine. Hatchet fish are very low waste producers and Gourami's are kind of mind-line.

But if you can find pygmies, then go for it. If not, I wouldn't stress too much about having around 40" of fish in your setup.

I know what you mean about watchin the fish for ages in the shop :*) I sometimes feel I have to move on or else they'll think I'm "weird" :lol:

I know what you mean about watchin the fish for ages in the shop :*) I sometimes feel I have to move on or else they'll think I'm "weird" :lol:

:lol: :rofl: Thats exactly how I feel. They keep coming up asking me "Are you sure you don't need help with anything?" I think thats their way of saying "If you aren't going to buy anything today, get out."

The Pygmy's aren't that easy to find around here. I haven't seen any in a couple of months. Might just go for the Peppered cories. I love their coloring too.

My filter is a Whisper filter that is rated up to 60 gal. I do gravel vac & water changes every Sunday. I could squeeze another cleaning in around Wednesday if I needed to. Was thinking about a filter upgrade but that will probably have to wait until late November, if not after the first of next year.

Thanks again! ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back