Will This Bunch Get On?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to change the 'inmates' to 1 of my aquariums & I was thinking of having Pantodon Buchholzi ( African Butterfly fish-They look more like Grass hoppers!) with Siames Fighting fish (Betta Splendens) as well as Jordanella Floridae (Ameriacan Flagfish) & Ram (Papiliochromis ramirezi)- Glass fish (Chanda Ranga)

American Flagfish: I understand these can be a little aggresive but some say brackish & others say fresh water! I have 2 Brackish Tanks & 1 freshwater so if I cant put them in 1 I maybe able to put them in the other.

Siamese fighters/Pantondon- will these be ok together?

Any help will be greatless received.

Thanks.

I want to change the 'inmates' to 1 of my aquariums & I was thinking of having Pantodon Buchholzi ( African Butterfly fish-They look more like Grass hoppers!) with Siames Fighting fish (Betta Splendens) as well as Jordanella Floridae (Ameriacan Flagfish) & Ram (Papiliochromis ramirezi)- Glass fish (Chanda Ranga)
Rams do need unusually warm water, and while bettas and perhaps Pantodon will accept that, the Jordanella certainly need cooler water, ideally 18-22 C, and the glassfish will do better kept at the usual 25 C.
American Flagfish: I understand these can be a little aggresive but some say brackish & others say fresh water! I have 2 Brackish Tanks & 1 freshwater so if I cant put them in 1 I maybe able to put them in the other.
Yes, they can be aggressive, though the females are harmless for the most part. As for water chemistry they are very adaptable and while perhaps easier to keep in very slightly brackish water (SG 1.002 for example) they can do well in freshwater water provided it isn't too soft.
Siamese fighters/Pantondon- will these be ok together?
Both are territorial, so a lot will depend on the size of the tank. Each will claim about 30 x 30 cm, and that 'patch' has to be somewhere with minimal water current and lots of floating vegetation. So just because you have a tank that's big enough for three 30 x 30 cm patches at the top, it doesn't automatically follow that each fish will neatly spread themselves out along the length of your tank! Indeed, they're far more likely to all want the same low current patch at the far end of the tank from your filter outlet!

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for that. So it looks like I can put Glass fish in my Brackish tank as I understand they can live in Brackish & I may be able to put The Rams with The Butterfly fish.

Most reactions

Back