Will This Be Ok?

Clbrtwewill

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
San Antonio, TX
I was given a dwarf flame gourami this weekend by another student who bought it on a whim & she hasn't been able to take care of it. It was in a tank that was less than 5 gallons by itself and she's been having trouble keeping the entire thing clean enough.

I've had a betta in a ten gallon aquarium for several weeks. I lost all of my fish back in February and decided to start my tank up so it's cycled by the time I move home for the summer.

I put a divider up; the betta has about 1/3 of of the aquarium and I have the gourami by itself on the other side. The betta has been flaring a lot more than usual at the gourami, gourami seems to be just simply minding its own at this point. They can't get to each other but they apparently can see each other through the divider.

Is this living arrangement for them okay, just in general? I'm afraid of stressing one or the other out to an extreme. I don't have any more space in my room for another tank if there is a problem. Both fish appear to be healthy.

The gourami is pretty but I don't know much about this type of fish.. it hasn't eaten tropical fish food since it arrived two days ago.
 
She said it is a 10 gal...

3 Gal should be enough for the betta, and I think the gourami will have enough space with 7 but haven't kept one so couldn't say for certain..

One idea of things to do would be the same as a divided betta tank and plant lots of plants near the divider to make it harder for them to see each other. They don't need to be real ones if you dont want but if you do use artificial ones get silk ones as the betta will hurt themselves on plastic ones.

You might be able to get some other suggestions of things to stop them seeing each other in the betta section as they will of had similar issues in divided tanks.
 
She said it is a 10 gal...

3 Gal should be enough for the betta, and I think the gourami will have enough space with 7 but haven't kept one so couldn't say for certain..

One idea of things to do would be the same as a divided betta tank and plant lots of plants near the divider to make it harder for them to see each other. They don't need to be real ones if you dont want but if you do use artificial ones get silk ones as the betta will hurt themselves on plastic ones.

You might be able to get some other suggestions of things to stop them seeing each other in the betta section as they will of had similar issues in divided tanks.
Doh! didn't read the word TEN, was looking for numbers. Yes I would say that 7 would be enough for the gourami, and also the 3 Gal for the Betta. and the plant by the divider is a great idea. Might be an issue with filtering a divided tank, so small water changes might be in order in the divided section with no filtration

Emma
 

Most reactions

Back
Top