What's new

Will the puffer fish bee happy? 450L - No Co2 - Aquascape

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Christoffer

Reaction score
I want build a big 450 liters Non co2 dwarf puffer aquascape Paradise, whit maby 10 dwarf puffer fish, and some other fish, and want to make it look like this whit stone wood, and moss and som plants, and make some caves, like this guy have done:

And build some rocks like this : https://ibb.co/2qGdXkk and https://ibb.co/yRvrKsv

I will buy this filter unimax 700, it can hold 11 kg bio mass, and have 1700 liters flow per hours, not to much flow just like the puffer fish like it, i will fill it up whit biohome, It will take the animoark, nitrit, and nitrat down, so I don’t have to water changes that often.

I will Fertilize whit this all around fertilizer Tropica Premium Nutrition :

https://www.aquasabi.com/Tropica-Premium-Nutrition

I dont put co2, because it is too expensive to run. and I wont use easy-life easycarbo, and other chemicals becrues it has glutaraldehyde in it, dont want to take the risk it might have off toxicity to me ore the fish, so non co2 is my only option.

I know my plants and moss are not going to bee as pretty, and will grow very slow, but thats okay whit me.

Olso i dont want to give them live food, because I don't think it's very sweet to the other creatures, can I just give them dead food like worms there's dead,

And make some food myself to them whit :

Repashy Community Plus 85g together whit EASTER'S SHELLS, mixing two together and feed it to the puffer fish, he will make their teeth worn down, because of the EASTER'S SHELLS. like this guy do

But will the puffer fish bee happy, if thy dont get live food, as long thy have many plants, caves, hiding places, and food?

But my main concern is algae, can i hold back algae, in that big tank and this setup ? :

- if i have low light 6 hours a day

- no Direct syn light

- Fertilize every week

- my filter can takeaway animoark, nitrit, and nitrat

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are your actual questions?
Thanks :) My questions is, Will 10-20 dwarf puffer fish bee happy, if thy dont get live food, as long thy have many plants, caves, hiding places, and dead worms, and food i make ?

And can i hold back algae in that big tank, and this setup whit puffer fish ?

Puffer fish don't need live food but if they are wild caught, they might ignore dead food for a few weeks. However, if you keep offering a variety of foods, they usually start to accept it.

They do need something hard to eat to keep their teeth short. Most people use snails or mussels and the fish chew these up and it helps keep their teeth at a safe length.

-----------------------
Some puffers can be kept in groups and some fight when they mature. You will have to check on the actual species to see if they are social or territorial.

-----------------------
Algae grows from excess light or excess nutrients, or both. If you have lots of plants then you don't normally get much algae. If you have some floating plants in the tank, that will significantly reduce the amount of algae that grows on the glass and ornaments.

Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for six hours a day, they will probably struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.
If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Thanks for the answer, and all the advise, good to know that im on the rigth track :)
What about cleaning, do i have to vacuum the bottom every time i have giving them food, ore do they clean up them self?
And is it enough to feed them every second day?
I will give a update on my progress with pictures, on my aquascape and puffer fish :)

Some fish will pick at food on the bottom but others won't. You will need to remove any uneaten food after feeding so it doesn't cause ammonia problems.

It's fine to feed adult fish every couple of days, but young fish should be fed every day. And newly imported fish should also be fed every day to help them put on some weight and recover from the stress of being shipped half way round the world.

Thanks for the answer, i will go right to it, and build a Paradiset to the puffer fish, i will post pictures on the way [emoji16][emoji106]

Sendt fra min JSN-L21 med Tapatalk

I got the stone!!!! https://ibb.co/3ztRhnx

hmmm i think i have enough, now its time to build

I will try to glue the rocks together whit superglue and tissue, like this guy is doing, bring me good luck

Okay finally got the stones glue together, and made some tress also.

I will get my 350 L akvarium tomorrow, and then i will ordre the plants, and have decided that I don't want puffer fish in that one, but instead some Dwarf Gourami and Guppys, and a clean up crew like snails and Amano shrimp, and maby 2 Discus, but i dont know if they can live together, do anyone of you know?

I will then if everything goes right, buy i second one 200 L Aquarium, in 2 month, and put dwarf puffer fish in it, i know this 200 L will bee a challenge, because i cant have too much flow in the waters, and cant have a clean up crew, so might get some algae´s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2CZk-NMFA&feature=youtu.be

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back