Will The Nerites Climb Out?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

celaeno

Arkangel
Reaction score
i plan on getting a female betta and 2 freshwater nerite snails for my 10 gal. the hood has large openings which i cut out to fit the filter and heater, and the water line is 1" below the top (up to the bottom of the black rim). will the snails try to climb out?

for what i understand these guys can be escape artist. that being said you can often find them before they die, i have read things saying these guys have been found climbing up bathroom walls. don't know why.
as for my personal experience with them is i have them in tanks with open lids and closed, the only time one got out was when i pulled and orinement and he was attached so it was my fault. i think as long as the water is fine you know cleaned regularly they really don't hae much reason to leave.

good luck with them, i am very fond of these little guys.

Yes they are meant to escape from uncovered tanks but if your water quality is good then they don't really have a reason to leave.

Yes they are meant to escape from uncovered tanks but if your water quality is good then they don't really have a reason to leave.

Not true, they will come out to look for algae above the water surface. I lost one to this as it got fried behing a light tube (and you could see the little trail made by it munching algae the whole way). The one I have in my shrimp nano comes out a lot too, in fact it seems to sleep out of water during the day and is out feeding in the tank at night.

My advice would be to make sure you plug up any gaps. I use filter floss.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back