FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
In my 10 gallon aquarium with a penguin 100 filter, I generally will rinse the cartridge in tank water every two weeks. But I find that doesnt really clean out the gunk buildup. I am wondering if it would be ok to use the sink sprayer to force out the gunk and clean it better and then dip in dechlorinated water. It would only be exposed to tap water for maybe 10 sseconds. Would that affect the Beneficial Bacteria.

Opinions welcome.

Just add sponges to the filter and leave them with the cartridges for a couple of months. Then throw the cartridges away and put more sponge in. Sponges are easier to clean and last a lot longer than filter pads/ cartridges.

If you use chlorinated tap water on a filter cartridge, it will kill some of the bacteria, however it depends on how long the chlorinated water is in contact with the cartridge for. A 20 second rinse under tap water is not going to affect established filter bacteria that much. But if you soak the cartridge in tap water for 5 minutes it will kill most of the good bacteria.

If you have 2 cartridges or 1 cartridge and 1 sponge in the filter, you can hose one off and leave the other in the filter. Then wait a month before hosing the other one off.

Having said all this, your best bet it to just have sponges in the filter and on the intake strainer. They are easy to clean and should last 10+ years.

Not unless you are actually rinsing the filter cartridge. I don’t think It would kill any beneficial bacteria, as it’s not exposed for that long. :)

Cartridge filters are marketing cash cow genius! I don't like them and don't use them. No matter what you do, eventually the cartridge needs to be replaced and all the BB goes in the trash! (Hopefully by the time the first one is replaced, the tank is 'seasoned' enough so there's BB elsewhere to compensate,

Cleaning a cartridge with a sink sprayer will blast some BB out with the gunk and more will be killed by the chlorine/chloramine. A safer alternative is to swish vigorously in tank water.

Better still, as mentioned previously, is to migrate to sponge material that is more easily cleaned and will last a very long time! (if not forever and a day!)

I am a 'fan' of the Aquaclear HOB design as it allows the hobbyist to select the medias of choice (similar to a canister filter on a much smaller scale [and easier maintenance].)

Now long ago, I turned away from the marketing hype of more expensive commercial bio-medias (ceramic, plastic, rocks). I found that sponge material is not only a great mechanical filter, but that finer density, sponge material (bio-sponge) is also an excellent platform for beneficial bacteria (hence the countless large fishrooms that run on air driven box and sponge filters!). So my Aquaclear filters are filled with sponge material. They are cleaned every couple of weeks. I have well water so I can use the sprayer at the sink which I do for the tank upstairs, but for the basement tanks, I'll often just squish/rinse the sponges in a bucket of tank water. The same is true for the large sponge filters that I use although these may go as long as a month before cleaning.

So 'pimp' your cartridge filter to use sponge instead of (or in conjunction with) a cartridge. But remember: filters don't clean water, they merely make it look cleaner. Fresh water stays fresh with routine partial water changes..."the solution to pollution is dilution."

Tank on, Mike

I partially agree and disagree with some of what has been posted, so I'll just answer your question afresh rather than this and that.

First, the largest (by far) colony of bacteria including the nitrifying species lives not in the filter but in the substrate. Even if you removed the filter entirely, assuming the aquarium is biologically balanced, it would make no difference, so obviously cleaning the filter media or replacing it would have no detriment. Also assuming the tank is established and not new, which it sounds like.

Second, the level of chlorine and/or chloramine plus the length of exposure are factors. Chlorine alone is unlikely to kill the bacteria unless the level is quite high and the exposure time is lengthy. I have rinsed my filter media, sponges, etc under the tap for over 30 years. A microbiologist some years ago confirmed my understanding, and an article in PFK a couple years back said the same.

Third factor is plants. With live plants, this is not even an issue.

I did try a sponge but filter area is so small it wont fit well as sponge is one inch thick and is thicker than the filter housing area. I guess i could try cutting thickness of sponge in half. I believe you should have a space where water can enter filter area before it hit the media. On my other three tanks I use my own sponge and floss and it works out well.

Of course, Byron is correct - In an established tank, there is typically more beneficial bacteria in the substrate than the filter. So a filter cartridge or filter media becomes less important with respect to beneficial bacteria (BB).
There is far more surface area in the substrate than in any filter. However, it takes six months or so for a tank to become "established".

A myth in the hobby is that all BB lives in the filter. Perhaps a marketing coup for commercial bio-media.

Then again, there are exceptions. I have a few bare bottom grow out tanks where filter media becomes much more important.

I also second the positive effect of fast growing (especially floating) plants that convert ammonia (and other pollutants) into plant tissue that's eventually removed from the system.

I do have a moderate amount of plants in that tank and have a penguin biowheel hob filter. I also have some ceramics in the filter compartment along with the cartridge. I have a few cartridges so I will finish them off and then see about substitute media. I also have a sponge filter in that tank along with a sand substrate. So there are plenty of places for Beneficial bacteria to take hold. Tank has been up and running about 3 years now and fish are healthy and it is not overstocked.

In a penguin style HOB filter isn't it necessary to have a space behind the media for the water to flow up before it goes through the media?

I do have a moderate amount of plants in that tank and have a penguin biowheel hob filter. I also have some ceramics in the filter compartment along with the cartridge. I have a few cartridges so I will finish them off and then see about substitute media. I also have a sponge filter in that tank along with a sand substrate. So there are plenty of places for Beneficial bacteria to take hold. Tank has been up and running about 3 years now and fish are healthy and it is not overstocked.

In a penguin style HOB filter isn't it necessary to have a space behind the media for the water to flow up before it goes through the media?
I have these Aquaclear sponges > Aquaclear 30-Gallon Foam Inserts, 3-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E6JHBC/?tag=ff0d01-20

In my penguin 150 & 200 > Marineland Penguin Power Filter, 20 to 30-Gallon, 150 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009IODZ6/?tag=ff0d01-20

In 2 - 29gal and 2 - 20gal tanks ( 2 sponges per filter ) and they work great If I clean them weekly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back