Will Nipped Fins Grow Back?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bezzo89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my Black widow tetra.

2hhg27k.jpg

in comparison to two of the others...
2sacpyt.jpg

2cglon5.jpg

It has very elongated finnage as you can see, and i havent as of yet seen another one with the same style fins (yet i say)

However these loverrrrlyyy fins made it look more tasty to a fin nipper hence why they are a little tatty.

Will they grow back to their former glory? or is he doomed for a life of scruffyness??

Thanks,

I believe the fins will grow back over time. If the nipping is recent I would just watch for any sign of infection.

It was a while ago now, the culprit was removed from the tank.

Thanks for the comment plecostamus-mad!

Any ideas on a timescale and any way i can aid them or is it just nature taking its course?

thanks again!

if its just the fins and not down to th flesh, id say it will be fine and grow back on its on without any difficulty. as for a time scale, im not sure as all fish are different, could be a few months minimum, depending on damage.

okay excellent thanks for the help and advice plecostomus-mad.

Its handy when people like u are around to give advice!

i think its been a few months at the moment and they do look a little better i have been keeping an eye on it so far as i really wouldnt want to loose him! almost like the centrepiece of the tank half the time when its parading about!

thats okay :)

i might even get some of those black widow tetras formy 4ft tank when its ready i bet they would look amazing, 10 + shcooling together :good:

Yes, nipped fins grow back. One of my bettas was nipped and her fins are healing. I noticed that that top one has healed whereas the bottom hasn't completely.

The trick is making sure the water is clean! No ammonia. I added other products to the tank (however, I'm not sure if they're safe for tetras, so I wouldn't want to advise you to use them without you double checking - I added a small amount of aquarium salt and also stress coat. Are those safe for Tetras?)

I believe that best way to improve the healing process is to make sure that they are well fed, with the right foods and to do regular water changes to make sure the quality of the water is good.

Upping your water changes will help speed up the recovery of your fishes fins. If you currently do 1 a week, try doing 2.

The key to fins growing back is fresh clean water, this is normally more effective than any medications.

Andy

Yup, just think as the nip fins as a wound for a human. A wound for us will heal, so will the nipped fins on your fish.

-FHM

thats okay :)

i might even get some of those black widow tetras formy 4ft tank when its ready i bet they would look amazing, 10 + shcooling together :good:

Haha yes they do look good when just the four go around in my tank together! the long finned ones look a bit more exotic! haha

Yup, just think as the nip fins as a wound for a human. A wound for us will heal, so will the nipped fins on your fish.

-FHM

Ah thats a nice easy way of explaining it FHM.

Well i will keep an eye on the water parameters and do an extra change through the week which should help him recover.

Thanks guys!

I think you will be surprised as to how fast nipped fins can grow back. At least when my fish get them, they grow back really fast.

-FHM

Most reactions

Back