Will My Kribensis Cichlid Be Sad Without A Female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LaurenRhiain

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this correctly
smile.png

I just bought a pair of Kribensis Cichlids today and a couple of hours after adding them to my tank I found the Female dead
sad.png
My water levels are all fine and I only keep peaceful community fish so I have no idea why she died. I am now wondering, since I know that Krib Cichlids tend to mate for life, whether my Male would take to a new Female? Help! x

If youve only just had them, then id take the dead one back to the shop for another one. They should have a 24hr-48hr. Where they fighting?, what exactly happened?

They weren't fighting at all. After putting them in I watched them for a good hour and a half. They were getting on great and showing normal behaviour but then after a couple of hours the female had died :( Now I'm wondering if my Male would get on with a different Female since I bought them in a pair. x

They were in the same tank were they when you bought them? Where they babies or already a mated pair?

Yeah they were in the same tank and had "chosen" each other though had not yet mated.

I just re-read my terrible english then. Im not sure if they pair for life but as they are young im sure youll be ok adding another one. As before the shop should replace the one you lost.

Just a quick note, Kribensis don't mate for life
wink.png
I know from experience. My Nigerian Red pair mated a couple of times(no babies though) but then he went on a bit of a rampage and killed the female. I sold him on and apparently he now has babies with a completely different female. Also, my partner has a 2 breeding pairs and between the older pair the female has had 3 males and the male had another female before he came here to live with my partners female. The reason my partners female has had 3 partners is because he originally had a couple of bigger low-end aggressive cichlids in their tank and they were killing the males(female got into cave quickly) so yeah. They don't mate for life
smile.png

Also, he would be perfectly fine on his own though I agree the shop that sold them should do something about the dead female
confused.gif

I bought a pair last year from my LFS but the female seemed to have some buoyancy problems so I took her back and exchanged her for another one. She and the male were initially hesitant but soon became a pair and have laid several batches of eggs although no babies just yet.

Kribensis are harem breeders so they dont pair up, adding another female would be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back