Will My Internal Filter Seed My External Filter?

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok so I've upgraded one of my tanks (60litre) that was running 2 internal filters to a 160litre that came with a Fluval 205. I was going to take some noodles from my Tetratec but it's hassle to do that right now and I want to get it all going before hubby gets home tomorrow. I've sold the 60litre with ONE of the internal filters and so I have my other one still running on a small tank with my black neons in at the moment, just to keep it all going. It's a 200lph that has got a sponge and ceramic balls inside the sponge. Is this going to be enough to seed my Fluval? If so, how long would that take and if so, how long should I leave it before adding more fish?
 
im not sure but maybe if you put some media out of the internal and put it in the external that would be alot more effective or maybe all the media into the external and use your external as a power head with no media

someone else maybe able to help you better but i hope this helps you
 
im not sure but maybe if you put some media out of the internal and put it in the external that would be alot more effective or maybe all the media into the external and use your external as a power head with no media

someone else maybe able to help you better but i hope this helps you

Yeah I could use all the media from the internal into the external - how long would it take then for it to seed completely do you reckon?
 
I would squeeze out all the gunk from the two exsisting filter's into a bucket, then soak all the media you intend to use in the 205.
then i would have this filter running along side the other two for about a month, well thats what i did with my 5ft tank
 
im not too sure mabe around 3/4 weeks this isnt really my strong point i imagine its the same as doing a cycle,getting the bacteria to get the water chemistry to the right perameters eg ph,nitrates,nitrites,ammonia
 
Nelly I can't do that, I've already sold the other filter and it's been sold as mature and ready to go (actually delivering it in half an hour to the buyer) and so I only have the one filter left

MMJay I thought about 4 weeks too mate, I think that would work as long as I don't add much into the stocking
 
ok fine, just give a good squeeze from both filter's into bucket and soak the media, treat the filter's as if you wash giving them a clean, it won't ruin either filer, then obviously just run the one along side.....yes do not add anything for about 5weeks for safety
 
I ran my fluval 1+ filter pumping my diy filter loop for 2 weeks then took out the fluval and switched to a standard pump and didn't have any ammonia difference at all.
 
Just put all of the media from the internal filter into the 205.

The 205 has a higher flow rate, so the bacteria probably wont be able to work 100% efficiently straight away (since the water wont be in contact with the bacteria for the same length of time, the layout of the bacterial biofilm on the internals media is unlikely to be as efficient in the external) .

So, purely for the sake of safety, do a 20-50% water change the next day.

If you have live plants, the water change would be a waste of time even for the sake of safety, as they should be able to feed on any spillover ammonia.

If you are really worried, you could also not feed them the next day.

Remember, healthy filter bacteria colonies can double in size around every 24 hours.

Try not to worry about it too much, stressing over little things take the fun out of having aquariums ;).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top