Will my Betta be ok without a water change?

Here is something else you can do. There is a product called Poly Filter. Get one of the 4 x 8 inch size. This is an amazing material, I use a piece of this in every bag of fish I ship.

https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/

It provides a supplemental means for the removal of ammonia when the biological filter is unable to break down excess ammonia.

In addition to outstanding capabilities for removing ammonia, it also removes heavy metals, harmful organics, all forms of phosphate and is without equal in the removal of medications after treatment. Medication such as Copper Sulphate and Formalin, Quinine Sulphate, Malachite Green, chelated copper compounds and even antibiotics used to treat bacterial infections. These substances can cause serious toxicity problems for fish after treatment since they remain in solution for long periods of time causing toxic overdosage. The "Poly Filter" rapidly removes most parasite and antibiotic medications without removing or affecting beneficial trace elements. While activated carbon and ion exchange resins have been used for antibiotic removal, many times the fail to remove the medication completely and sometimes can shock the fish. The "Poly Filter" will not shock even the most delicate fish while completely removing the antibiotics.

Another important and patented feature of the "Poly Filter" is its unique ability to change a different color with the absorption of specific pollutants. It turns blue with a copper salt, light green to aqua with free copper, orange with iron, red with aluminum, yellowish green with ammonia and white to beige to brown to black with the absorption of harmful organics. This unique feature not only assures the hobbyist that the "Poly Filter" is functioning but helps him to monitor changes in water conditions and tells him when to replace the filter.

polyfilter_grande.jpg

Next, when I am away from my tanks for days my brother will feed my fish. Hpwever, I do not leaviit it to hom to determine what or how much. I make up packets of food in aluminum foil. I usually only need him to feed regular tanks once, but those with fry every day. So I leave a written paper on when to feed and then I place the prepared packets of food on top of the tank. All my bro has to do is to unvold the foil and dump the contents into the tank. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Have a nice trip ;)
That looks promising - thanks for sharing.

I just bought 12 of the 4 x 8 Poly Filters. I am vending at a big fish weekend event in Sept. and I will need a bunch for that. I mostly use them for shipping but have also used them at events. I bring cycled filters but may use the Poly as well for back-up.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Ok, I will do 3 times. I have neon tetras, should I do the same for them? They are a bit harder to feed

Ok, I will do 3 times. I have neon tetras, should I do the same for them? They are a bit harder to feed
Do you think she might have a harder time judging how much to give? If so, I would have her skip the first feed for them and/or set out how much to give on certain days and reassure her that they will be ok with that amount even if they look hungry. Then maybe hide all the food so she doesnā€™t feel sorry for them and add to it.

Ok, good idea...there are little beggars! I might freeze little bits so that when she feeds them she just plops one in...I can't really feed them off the top since i had too adjust my filter so it would just skim the top.

Ok, good idea...there are little beggars! I might freeze little bits so that when she feeds them she just plops one in...I can't really feed them off the top since i had too adjust my filter so it would just skim the top.
I would put the correct amount of food in little envelopes with the day the contents should be fed labeled on them. That way they can't be overfed.

Last edited:
I would put the correct amount of food in little envelopes with they day the contents should be fed labeled on them. That way they can't be overfed.
Great minds think alike!
You could use something like bottle caps to put each dose of food in and a note for when to give each, and tape them where she canā€™t miss them and they wonā€™t get splashed on.
NearMeā€™s idea is perfect, I just hadnā€™t seen it when I was writing.

Great minds think alike!

NearMeā€™s idea is perfect, I just hadnā€™t seen it when I was writing.
Great minds do think alike. Funny we both had the same idea lol.

I used to use the envelope trick when I left for my grandparents. Less work for my parents, plus the fish get the exact amount of food that I want them to.

Thank you! I will put the food in little holders like you guys suggested, so I can decide how much my Bettas get. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back