Will Male Dwarf Gouramis Fight?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettatamer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
It's mainly all in the title, I am wondering if male dwarf gouramis will fight. There will be no females in the tank for them to compete for if they will do that.

they might do, if they have plenty of space but hiding places then they should be ok.

+1 on op

How big is your tank? - it will need to be a fair size to allow each their own territory and be heavily planted.

Have you any tank pics?

They will fight, yes. Your tank would have to be enormous to avoid contact with each other.

My 2 boys are in a 200L, semi-planted tank where some sort of interaction is inevitable. Hiding places for the submissive DG (once they've bickered enough to decide who's the boss) is important. You could also think about adding females to 'dilute' any aggression. 2f to 1m is the minimum recommendation.

Mine have never fought in the 125 litre, chased about a bit yes, but neither of them have wounded each other (which is what I'd consider to be fighting) they have no fin damage or anything like that. I can only think that as I got them at the same time at the same LFS and insisted that I got two that were as closely sized to each other that this may have helped in some way

I think you got lucky there, Kirky...

This is one of my boys here missing scales on his side near his tail fin...it's not very easy to see but this was as a result of a squabble. Missing scales and some swelling...

I'd go on the assumption that they will fight and if they don't...Bonus!

Are females any duller in color? Will they breed readily in the tank and, do the males aggressivley guard their fry?

Shelster said:
+1 on op

How big is your tank? - it will need to be a fair size to allow each their own territory and be heavily planted.

Have you any tank pics?
I do not right now, the 29 gallon they wwill be inhabiting is cycling right now and I don't think I have enough ornaments to even protect my female guppies from the males pestering :) I will try to get pictures soon, but until I have you guys approval I will not get more than one male.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back