Will Amano And Cherry Shrimps Mate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stoneagedinosaur

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Howdy all

I have some Amano shrimp and some cherry shrimp - I now have some baby shrimp that look like both - or neither! Pale pink with a yellow 'saddle'. No pictures at the moment - won't stay still long enough. Just wonder if they have cross bred?

D'oh! Obviously that should be AMANO - not Anubia in the title (Can't find how to edit the title!) Still - should get a few more hits!

(Edited the title for you -- Bignose)

Nope they can't crossbreed, those will be baby cherry shrimp. Amanos can't breed in freshwater (well they can but the babies won't survive).

No they wont.
Amano babies need brackish water to survive, hence why there is little success in breeding them in almost all home environments.
Cherry shrimps on the other hand will quite happily breed like nutters, so my money is on them.

Young female cherries can look quite pale sometimes. They should become more red as they mature.

P.S. you can edit the title using the full editor btw

Yeah, will be Cherry babies. Unless you have White pearl instead of Amanos, they can breed with Red Cherries. Whatever they are, congratulations to your offspring!

As above, likely to be cherries, if they stay pale then may be male, but if they have the yellow saddle then young pale females :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back