Toxotes jaculatrix
Moringua raitaborua
Potamobatrachus trispinosus
Hexanematichthys seemanni
Odontamblyopus rubidicundus
Butis butis
Sillaginopsis panijus

regards äc vuohenraiskaaja

I'm not about to go through all of these telling you what they need or whether you'll like them. Please have a read of the pinned topics here, or the FAQ on my web page, or buy/borrow one of the brackish fish books, whether mine, the Aqualog one, or the old Michael Gos one. A few random thoughts follow.

Gymnothorax polyuranodon
Gymnothorax tile

Moray eels are nice, but potentially aggressive as they mature. Sometimes work well in communities, but sometime not so well. Best with larger, more robust tankmates.

Therapon jarbua

Very territorial and aggressive when small; above about 10 cm becomes a (fairly) peaceful if boisterous schooling fish. Nice though.

Monodactylus sebae
Scatophagus 'rubrifrons'
Selenotoca multifasciatus

Long article about these in this month's TFH, so perhaps worth a read. All much of a muchness: fairly big, need lots of swimming space. Scatophagus 'rubrifrons' is only different when young, when fully grown looks like a regular scat. Selenotoca multifasciatus is a gorgeous animal.

Tetraodon biocellatus

Figure-8 puffers are tricky but possible in communities. Fairly small though, so not suitable for tanks with big predators. Also a low-end brackish fish, SG 1.005 not SG 1.010.

Chlamydogobius eremius
Stigmatogobius sadanundio

The first is a small desert goby, much like a bumblebee in needs/care. The second is the knight goby. Very pretty, very predatory.

Anableps anableps

Nice, but needs a special tank with a place for the fish to rest on their bellies with their eyes above the water. A slate "bridge" across two flower pots works perfectly. Not really a community fish.

Toxotes jaculatrix

Gets big, predatory. In twos/threes often territorial.

Moringua raitaborua

Superb fish. Rare. Known as spaghetti eel. Small (~40-50 cm), insect larvae eating version of a moray.

Potamobatrachus trispinosus

Big predator. Doesn't do much, so fine in small tanks. "Sings" loudly. Only safe with fish of equal or larger size.

Hexanematichthys seemanni

Superb fish. Adults are spectacular given sufficient space to swim and school. Total pussy cat in terms of behaviour, so mix only with large, peaceful species. Easily bullied, despite its predatory habits and impressive armament (spines, venom, and poison!).

Odontamblyopus rubidicundus

Blind version of the violet goby. Rare. Smaller than the violet goby but care identical.

Butis butis

"Crazy fish" in the trade. Nice predator. Territorial. Perches at odd angles. Hardy and easy to keep.

Sillaginopsis panijus

Freshwater to marine member of the sillago group. Big (40 cm) predator. Kept in home aquaria very rarely. I know nothing about them.

Cheers, Neale

correct me if im wrong but Chlamydogobius eremius is a freshwater fish not brackish.

correct me if im wrong but Chlamydogobius eremius is a freshwater fish not brackish.

technically brackish, but can tolerate waters up to marine conditions and beyond.

edit: I meant technically 'Freshwater'.

Most reactions

Back