Wilds

I took the female out tonight, too. Whadda ya think about that? :unsure:
She was sticking really close to him and all, but I didn't want her to pester him and he seemed like he'd be just as well off with her in a tank next door. Do yours eat while they're holding? I've heard that some do....

I've heard a lot of people remove the female, so it should be fine. Sometimes the females will want to breed again while the male is still holding and will pester him to swallow, I think that's what happened to me last time. My males doesn't eat while holding, but I saw Gabriel eat when he had a mouthful of fry once :p

i love that last picture, wuv! it almost looks superimposed!! i hope you get a nice surprise soon!!!! :wub:

I think it's my groovy new camera :nod:

Speaking of which, I managed to get a kapuas fry pic tonight during a water change...(fry is in the center)
kf.jpg

Simplex male is still holding, I just don't know what to do for him- if anything. I turned the filter off last week before they even spawned, so I take it they like a stiller water, but he's hanging out by the filter so I turned it on for a few minutes tonight, but shortly turned it off when the java fern went haywire. It was like a tidal wave of plants and leaves. I dunno, I'll leave him be. He's a pretty laid back little guy and it seems the female just LOVES her new 2.5 on her own -_-

He does look a proud daddy-to-be doens't he :wub:

Fingers crossed Wuv, I find the wild species fascinating

Some good lookers you have there. wuv. They are all just handsome devils. I could easy get addicted.

Congrats on the joyousness. :hooray: :flowers:

Gah! We apparently swallowed some time yesterday. I found him fliriting through the glass with the female, so I put her back. He immediately began coming onto her so....at least they like each other, maybe they'll do it again someday. Maybe I should do them as I've done the kapuas- stuff them in a dark box and put them on a out of the way shelf, apparently that works!

I still congratulate you on the kapuas fry. And soon the simplex will present you with their efforts completed. :nod:

Thanks guys, and Sue I think so, too! He was ready for more as soon as I put her in, so :thumbs:

They're in a spot where it's sort of difficult for me not to bother them, although they don't even ackowledge me, but the kapuas are right below them and I'm in there feeding the babes a few times a day- not to mention my precious peeking time :wub:

You guys can ignore this, I wanted to put this in here though so I remember where it is when I'm looking for a birth date. I did want to show the pic of this nifty nest though (see below)

I moved my mahachai to a tub last week. It's about the same size as their 20 so it's really no different. I found the most interesting article on mahachai a couple weeks back and they come from disgusting brackish water so I added quite a bit of salt to the new tub and yesterday I had eggs hatching. I'm sort of stuck in a pickle as far as "what to do"....I'm a bit pressed for space and I don't have an empty shelf to move the others to so I think I'm going to just leave them in the "species community" as I did with the kapuas (who are DARLING, by the way!), still undecided. There's another male and two females in there. I've been keeping them stuffed on blackworms.

His nest is the cutest thing I've seen. It was a lot fuller yesterday (hatch day), today he's letting them wander off a bit before he goes to collect them :wub: He built it beneath a floating leaf and notice how he gave himself a wall to hide behind? I could just pop him in my mouth- he's so clever!
maha2.jpg

It is :nod: I've only had smaragdina bubble nesting daddies and it always amazes me how incredibly gentle and diligent they are :wub: This male is no different, he's doing a fantastic job, I feel confident leaving them with him.

That's good news. How many wilds babies do you have now and how many coming babies of what?

That is a pretty mahachai fellow!

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one that fills up every available space with water. I am beginning to feel like I live in an aquarium. I got my order of front Zaires. I have no idea where I will put a tank large enough to house them when they start growing. I'm going to try to post some pics tonight. Try to come by to see in the African Cichlid forum.

OOH, zaire blues?! Congrats, I'll come check out your thread for sure. I'll have zaires some day, oh yes
:nod: For now I lurve my burundi, they're getting so big :wub: This past summer I was at a cichlid convention here in FW and they were selling bags of 12 zaire babes for between 60 and 80.00, it killed me but I was broke and had already commited to a new red devil.

As for wild babies I have smaragdina and the kapuas and now hopefully the mahachai :thumbs: My simplex haven't spawned again but it's been really warm here, I think they prefer it pretty cool as it was rather chilly when they spawned last time, and I calculated back and figured out that my kapuas spawned when it was at it's coldest here, dropping in the low 70's in the fishroom at night, especially being right by the window.

Most reactions

Back