Wild Tropicals In England?

stucolls

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
586
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Torquay, Devon, England
Hey guys, I have just been reading through a similar thread relating to somewhere in the states where all sorts of tropicals, cichlids and all, and Koi all live, wild in a kind of hot spring/lake.

Does anyone know of anywhere like this in Britain? I am captivated by it, it looked amaing!!!

Stu
 
The best place to look would be downstream of a power station that is pumping its warm water back into the river. We don't get the natural volcanic activity the way they do in the states, I don't know of any hot springs in the uk. It would be great to see though. Other than a power station I can't think of any other way to get warm water in the UK.

I've not seen tropical fish but i have been fishing on the River Trent near Radcliffe Power Station when i was much younger. It could just be my memory playing tricks but i'm sure the fish i caught there were bigger than the ones i got elsewhere. :P

Edit: Just done a quick search on hot springs in the uk - Wikipedia has this list - a couple of them could support tropical fish...
 
Hey guys, I have just been reading through a similar thread relating to somewhere in the states where all sorts of tropicals, cichlids and all, and Koi all live, wild in a kind of hot spring/lake.

Does anyone know of anywhere like this in Britain? I am captivated by it, it looked amaing!!!

Stu

I live in the states and am curious about reading this thread. Can you direct me to it, either PM or on here?

Thanks.
 
its truly amazing, literally heaven on earth, id pitch a tent there and intorduce it as my fish tank lol

Hahahaha - yes, that would be awesome. I would buy a glass bottom boat and just sit there during the day.
 
I was brought up in St Helens in Lancashire. Rumour had it that there were tropical fish living in the canal next to Pilkington's sheet glass works (factory long gone!). The cooling water from the factory used to spray into the canal - it was called 'the hotties'. The owner of a fish shop that had gone bust was supposed to have emptied his stock in there!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top