Why you must take your Mormyrids as serious as a dog.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
They have always seemed special and I did keep them..one for years. When I used to buy live tubifex worms once a week. Now? No..they like a dark aquarium,the opposite of mine.

They have always seemed special and I did keep them..one for years. When I used to buy live tubifex worms once a week. Now? No..they like a dark aquarium,the opposite of mine.
tehy are cute.
elephant fish
photos of yours?
1625095592986.png

tl;dw - mormyrids aren't meant to be kept in captivity
i've seen G. petersii for sale at my LFS once or twice. i feel sorry for the ones that got sold to some clueless beginner. not a fish to be kept singly either, which means that the vast majority of fishkeepers don't even have the space to house them (except some species, such as, common name "baby whale," stay small, which i've only ever periodically seen online). probably around 90% of mormyrids don't survive more than a few months in aquariums due to incorrect living conditions. an even larger percentage do not reach their maximum age.

Are you saying that your 155 gallon Mormyrids didn't make it? Or that..it takes an aquarium dedicated to them and food especially for them to succeed?
I had them healthy and such on live worms and brine shrimp with some gelatinized beef heart. But,I never found good tankmates for them and the fact they never were active in the day made me rehome the guy.
At least the new thing with fine sands substrate is better than the gravel I had over my undergravel filter decades ago.

I have elephant noses and my oldest is 10years, I've worked hard to look after them they are my dream fish I always make sure they get what they need. I've seen so many people buy them and fail it just takes research before buying and giving them what they require.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back