Why Would Water Dry Pink

can't tell you what it is, but we have it and sucessfully kept fish in that water for many years, so i don't think it's a problem.

had a leaky tap in the bathroom a while back, and if you didn't wipe down the sink then where it dripped on to would go pink.
 
well the TFF user wasn't me it was on another thread as a side note, just wanted to throw it out there as I am intrigued :)
 
Likely just calcium deposits from hard water. Maybe some mildew mixed in.
 
calcium dries white.

I want to know what causes it as well because I have never heard of it.
Perhaps this should be in the scientific section. Bignose or Steelhealr might know.
 
calcium dries white.

I want to know what causes it as well because I have never heard of it.
Perhaps this should be in the scientific section. Bignose or Steelhealr might know.

Yes, but it can only take a small amount of impurity to alter color. Especially of white things.
 
We get it too. It goes black eventually if you don't wash it away (like inside the toilet cistern - I don't wash that very often!). I asked the plumber once when he was servicing the boiler and he said it was something they started adding to the water supply a few years ago. So I've emailed the water company. We'll see how long it takes them to answer, and what they have to say.
 
We get it too. It goes black eventually if you don't wash it away (like inside the toilet cistern - I don't wash that very often!).
the black is mould you grotty sod, clean your bathroom :)
 
Erm... the black is inside the cistern. How often do you clean in there? I've tried everything - even neat bleach doesn't remove it. The plumber reckoned it was in every cistern he's seen. It's particularly horrid when I need to change the washer on the infill mechanism :sick: My husband refuses to touch it. Don't worry, everything else in the bathroom is spotless as it is cleaned regularly. :rolleyes:
The funny thing is there's never any trace of a red stain in any of my fish tanks, only white calcium deposits, and there are plenty of places where a water slash could dry out and go red if it was going to. The only difference is the tanks have dechlorinated water and I use one that removes heavy metals. Maybe it's metal salts, but I've forgotten which metals have pink salts, apart from some cobalt compounds.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top