Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Why Water Changes During Cycling Are Good

Discussion in 'Tropical Chit Chat' started by Bignose, Jan 15, 2008.

1. n3ont3tra

n3ont3tra Lets go Flyers

Great post. Very interesting. I'll even put it on my siggy.

2. cc_woman

cc_woman Member

Thank you for all the useful information. It will help me out for future times of buying any new tanks. I just love hearing smart people talk, people who actually know exactly what they are talking about. It bothers me when I get bad information on something, or I see others giving bad advice. I think this forum is great for that.

3. Piltdownpaul

Piltdownpaul Member

I've never had a problem doing large water changes in the cycle-In fact i didnt realize it could be a problem thinking the bacteria were multiplying on substrate etc. My 88 litre tanks cycled in 4 to 5 weeks so it cant be lengthening the cycle. Good post knowledgeable friend!! :good:

4. pastabake

pastabake Member

Nice one Bignose. I followed your idea and limited my ammonia to +1ppm per day with a max concentration of 5ppm at its peak and my tank cycled in 20 days. I was going to ramp up my ammonia at the end by adding 2,3,4,5ppm post cycle so as to be able to add a full stock of fish but an unexpected hospital visit put an end to that and by the time I got back the tank was being used for fry. Still its good to provide further evidence.

5. newfishy

newfishy Member

wow, excellent work there.

6. Gillymore

Gillymore Member

Plenty in there to think about and debate. I'ma bit shellshocked and probably need to read through a few more times to get a clearer idea of the concept(s).

7. Bignose

Bignose Birds just don't know how to follow the rules.
    Retired Moderator

I like that this post keeps coming back -- it helps that more and more people are reading it. The word will get out eventually, and I am so happy because it is going to help keep more fish healthier and more people will enjoy this hobby.

8. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Interesting post and stats !!

I reckon that you would appreciate this site !

<removed non-permitted link - Bignose>

9. nickelplates

nickelplates Member

Great work and a great read. I have recently returned to fishkeeping after a five year break and done a cycle with fish but very few, probably less than most do. The thing that interests me is that with such a small quantity of fish I was able to keep the ammonia very low with water changes, tested daily and never had ammonia above 0.3ppm. Of course once cycled the bacterial colony would still be relatively small but coping with the small amount of fish waste. What your analysis also shows is that having reached this position it is not neccesary to add new fish over a long time as conventional wisdom suggests, instead you could double the population every day until you reached full stock levels and still not overwhelm the filter and push ammonia up again, though in practice I would suggest a little slower than this!

If anyone is interested my fish never showed any sign of stress and all of them are still fit and healthy. Cycling with fish needs care and commitment but I don't think it is the evil it is made out to be unless it is mismanaged.

Another point about filters and bacteria is that the bacteria don't stop multiplying when they can just cope with the waste, they carry on until no more can live on the waste being produced which is a higher population. This means that taking a proportion of your filter media out to give to a friend or whatever will not normally cause a mini-cycle as the remaining bacteria will consume more waste and use the energy to multiply and restore the population to the higher level. Not quite sure what the ratio of the two population levels is, maybe the original poster has some thoughts.

10. luckyd

luckyd Member

Wow, I just read your post and it's very helpful. The guy at the pet store told us not to chnage the water during the first month but I was skeptical. We've been doing 10% per day but ammonia is still in the high stress level. Would we be safe to try a 50% water change? My new dalmation molly unexpectedly dropped fry a couple of weeks into the cycle so we're trying cycle and take care of the babies at the same time. It's a five gallon tank. I know -- too small. But we started with one fish, and were going to add just one more -- not eight! Thanks for any help you can give me.

11. bubble87

bubble87 Member

so do you think that doing a 10% water change every day wilst doing a fish in cycle would be more better than doing larger water changes every few days?

12. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

13. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Nice info...makes me feel somewhat at ease. I have been doing 50% water changes every day during my cycling, and was beginning to wonder if is too much.
    Now on day 11 and not sure if I should back off?
    I do have 6 small barbs in a 10gal tank (I know...newbie mistake), but that's why I've been a freak about daily 50% changes to ease stress on the fish. At the same time I don't want to stunt the growth of the bacterial colony.

Also, your data is for the cycling process of ammonia. What about nitrites?
    Is it say 20 days for ammonia, and then additional days to complete nitrites?

Thanks for any response from anyone

14. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Nice...math on the 50% water changes holds true.
    Just completed a Fish-in cycle in 18 days!

Thanks for the info!

15. HM Dragon Devil

This post is certainly going to help me through my fish-in tank cycle.

Great post and very informative.

Thanks,
    Dean.