Why not Aquarium Salt?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

GP

Orange
Reaction score
Why can't you use Aquarium Salt when making a brackish tank/marine?

I heard this too, but if I really REALLY should be using marine, where can I get it? The LFS?

PT is correct aquarium and tonic salts do not contain the essential trace elements found in sea salt. You can buy sea salt either synthetic or natural from any LFS that has a marine fish section but be warned it is not cheap and you will need a lot more than you think.

you cant use it because its different salt. If you want to sae on money you can dilute the old salt water and run it throught activated Carbon, roaphos, and posibly a nirate absorber and then put it in shallow trays to evaporate and then scrape up the dried salts and readd the trace minerals that were used up by the fish.

In a 20 gallon tank (80 litres) you will need roughly around 30 ounces (825 grams) of sea salt to bring the water up to a SG of 1.010 so all you need to do is dilute it a little to achieve 1.008, of course it also depends on the mineral content of your tapwater so you will need to test the water with a hydrometer and vary the ammounts a little till you have the SG where you want it.

GodricPuffer said:
How much would i need to get to say... 1.008?
get as big of a box as you can afford... remember you need it fopr every water change!

i believe it is 1 teaspoon for every gallon to get it around 1.005? i have 2 brackish tanks, but i got so used to adding salt, i just guess at it now.

best thing to do at first is to make a batch of new water, making sure all salt is disolved (may take a few hours) and test it with your hydrometer (side note, a hydrometer is a must!!!)

Your right about needing more then you think...Hey my Birthday is coming up anyone want to buy me a bag of salt? :hey: (I just started my brackish tank and I see how this might get pricey)

Alright. I already have a hydrometer sillies, I'm not that stupid. :p I'm just going to switch to marine salt from now on...

Good idea. I am sure your fish will appreciate having the right salt. You can get a 50 gallon bag for 20.00 at a petsmart or petco. That should last you a little while seeing how you don't need full marine.

Something I noticed when I was thrown into brackish tank keeping.... initially you add salt to say expect an SG of 1.005 then find when taking a reading a little later its lower than expected!

After a week or so tho it seemed to sort its self out so now I'm able to hit the SG I want.

My GSPs are 1.75" and 1.25" and I keep them at SG 1.010 they seem very happy. I'm taking it up by about .002 per month and hope to hit marine in 12 months.

You should ask in another thread, but yes they do when they are adults.

Elsewhere I've read on peeps who've had their GSPs in full salt much sooner and they appear to be very healthy..... guess only the long haul will tell for sure.

Yeah the GSPs spend a lot of time in estuaries during their youth, they also return to near FW to spawn.

Most reactions

Back