Why lights off to introduce fish?? Something I don’t believe in…

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
1st off I know all fish are different, but certain species have specific traits… but I have heard it said, that you should always turn the lights off, when introducing new fish… proponents of this school of thought, seem to suggest this for all fish… I would think the 1st night is going to be stressful, as they don’t have a predetermined sleeping spot, and having lights on, when adding fish, allows them to become more familiar with their new environment… we can’t completely eliminate stress of shipping, and a new environment, also I would think shutting the lights off in the middle of the day, adds stress to the current community… I’m not sure if you have a large freaked out fish, if it’s better that they see what they are bouncing off of or not… but for me it seems like there would be very few instances, where I would want to turn off the lights when adding fish…
Your thoughts???

When some species come out of the bag, especially after they've been shipped, they can panic. Lights down generally keeps them from braining themselves on the glass, or from jumping, the big threat. Some species, especially larger ones, go berserk. Little ones are fine because they don't harm themselves before they settle down.

I've also seen tankmates attack new arrivals, but not when a period without lights has started them snoozing.

I don't generally keep fish that act like that, but I think it's the reason it's suggested.

It could also be that if you have ugly gravel and bad decor, the fish just need time to be able to deal with that!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back