why go pressurized ???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kenneth_kpe

Lider op da pises.
Reaction score
is there really a big advantage of pressurized c02 over yeast way c02 ?? .. im giving pressurized systems a big think over...

i think the advantages are:

You can control the amount of CO2 and also turn off at night (you can can't you?)
And it's less work in terms of not having to refill every week.

Disadvantage: cost. But I think the refills are quite cheap. It's just the initial cost of buying thats expensive.

presurised will give you a good constant rate - for months on end - without having to do anything :)

It allows the CO2 to be turned on and off as you like, eg over night when the plants wont be using it but will be producing it. Or to control the PH with a controler.

DIY can be turned off... but the presure builds up and will cause problems - either a messy explosion during the night or a massive CO2 burst as the system opens the co2 again as there is no control to the folw rate.

If you think about the cost of DIY over a few months - sugar 75p for 1k - I'm using 100g a week so 5kg would in theory do me a year... £4.50 for 1 year. call it £10 it total (including bicard and yeast)

That is obviously lots cheaper than a presurised system. The 390g tanks cost me about £8 (from a welding supplies shop) they last me say 4 months - £24 a year. thats just the gas. the equipment is obviously a big outlay

In my opinion Presurised is well worth it :) saves LOADS of hastle and give your system a lot more of a constact (and therefor safe) environment.

hmm i should research first on the cost of a c02 system here...... im thinking about upping my c02 to pressurized because with a DIY system, i cant notch the levels above 12 ppm :(

do you guys have tips on what to look for in a pressurized system ?

If its rasing the level your having problems with - it might be the difuser. If its not working too well the co2 will just bubble out of it.

You might want to try different mixes (more yeast = more CO2 but shorter life)

im using a cyclone reactor right now.... hmm i didnt think of that,, good idead.. i should re do the reactor and increase water flow going into the reactor and see what happens

Here's the formula I'm using, may be of use, although you may need to add bicarb depending on your tap water.

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon of yeast

Very simple and easy to calculate depending on the size of the container you're using. Personally I fill the container up to 3/4 of the way with the sugar / water solution (which is around 4.5 cups in a 3 litre bottle). The best method I have found it to fill the bottle with water as hot as possible without melting it, to make sure it's as clean as possible, add the sugar then seal the bottle until the temperature reaches room temp. Once it's ready, mix the yeast up in a small amount warm water with a teaspoon of sugar, get lots of air into it and let it sit for about 10 - 15 minutes, add to the solution and wait for the bubbles!

im gonna give your mixing method a go :)

riught now im using
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon yeast.. :)

Make sure you test the KH of your tap water first, anything below 5 and add some baking soda.

ooo yeaah !! you reminded me!! i did measure my kh and for the longest time always thought it was low.. 3 deg KH.... what should the target kh be ??? i always forget to research on this ?? and there was a calculation before on how much baking soda to add... and still i forgot...

Walt said:
Curious question....
Is co2 even needed at 2WPG?

Whats the rule of thumb on this....
[snapback]865897[/snapback]​

Hiya Walt

At 2 WPG you dont need it, but it would definatly benifit your plants if you did use it, but if you are getting on ok as is, i would probably leave it.

Well the rule of thumb is anywhere over 2.5 WPG you definatly need it, but personally i would consider that figure a bit high, but thats just personal, like i say if you are getting on ok, id leave it, but if you ever added another tube you would definatly need it.

i have a 10 gallon tank with two florescent 20 watt bulbs (40 watts in total) but they are meant for home household use, not aquariums, so i dont know how much WPG you take off.......i was told i have about 2 WPG........is that right??

well i plan on having my tank pretty well planted (already have 6 plants in there, and with micro sword grass) so do i need CO2 in a 10 gallon?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back