Why Do So Many People...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just really curious and tbh a bit -_-

People think it'd be so "cool" to breed them, but it's so much more complicated than that!!! It's not just about having a lovely male that is so gorgeous it HAS to be bred, and having a spare tank (gee, that'll go far with all those fry that need separating... :shout: ).

Why can't people just enjoy keeping a fish as a pet? Go and breed mollies :lol:

For me it's the frustration of the "i rescued a betta" threads.

Rescuing a betta from an LFS sends the signal to the LFS that these fish are appealing to the buying public. They will replace that sold betta with another one and nobody learns a thing. All the time they are being sold they will continue to be sold. As long as the buying public has eternally deep pockets and tank space, then so be it. However, this is not the case.

Squid

I'm lucky to have a very good LFS that keeps their bettas in good condition.

Just this whole breeding thing drives me nuts - takes alot of HARD WORK, SPACE, TIME and MONEY - breeding bettas isn't likely to make you money by the time you've bought tanks, jars, food, a heated room...

Who on earth can house 100+ bettas, and how can you plan to home all of them?

GAH. I think i'm getting grumpy :fun:

I think people do just enjoy the challenge, for me it is anyways, i like the spawning technique its lovely to watch, its the beauty of it and what the fry will turn out like

sure its hardwork but its rewarding to watch them grow up, its teh same with any fish, its like an accomplishment

[ps just to join in, i hate the 'omg look at this, isnt it cruel! *points to a 2ltr tub*' yes we all know it is...]

ahem :)

I think a lot of people breed bettas (or other animals) either out of love of the species or maybe even in an attempt to improve it by carefully picking partners with healthy or desireable traits... if it's just a kid sticking two bettas he got off the shelf together and hoping they make babies, it's not breeding, it's just populating. Big difference.

That annoys me too, but on the other hand... if it weren't bettas, it'd be something else those people would be sticking together... like dogs and cats... at least betta fish can't grow up to hurt someone, you know? Lesser of two evils. Doesn't make it 'ok' but something to keep in mind.

Personally my pet peeve is people who treat their pets like tissue paper. Oh no, a fluctuation of .01 degrees! YOUR FISH IS GONNA DIE!!! Gimmee a break. I have an eight year old betta, they are NOT delicate little sugardrops and they don't go belly up because the wrong color light is turned on them.

Just really curious and tbh a bit
sleep.gif

People think it'd be so "cool" to breed them, but it's so much more complicated than that!!! It's not just about having a lovely male that is so gorgeous it HAS to be bred, and having a spare tank (gee, that'll go far with all those fry that need separating...
shout.gif
).

Why can't people just enjoy keeping a fish as a pet? Go and breed mollies
laugh.gif

Its a challenge, gives something to do besides watching tv and playing on the computer
laugh.gif

It makes me gain extra money if lucky, depends on what was bred and how they look mostly, also gets me to communicate with others local meetings, Auctions etc......
I also get to control the breed and ontop of that I get the best fry I get to pick for myself, means Lady of 8 or more I keep not sell, try and find someone selling a lady of 8 and of good quality goes for 1k USD if a good strain and young. I also get the chance of owning a OHM again it depends on strain that is being bred. Other than that its a hobby, its done to teach my youngers girls respect for others and animals and for my pleasure. My wife breeds dogs I breed fish meh its a hobby.

You state breed mollies or something, well why not go the extra mile and do discus way more money in it or setup a saltwater project or buy 2 dogs or 2 cats and breed them? Whats the difference between betta fish and a discus fish being bred? No difference no special care needed, its all about keeping water with fish and feeding the fry, so bettas need to be seperated at a certain point, discus do as well when they get to a certain age inch per gallon rule applies big tanks are needed for them especially if you end up with a big batch as most breed them in a 20-30 gallon tank and we know you can't house them in that tank for 3-6 months.

For me its always been about breeding them, this year was going to do discus but opted out of that the money invested in discus is well ALOT,
(Maybe the depression is getting to everyone find a quick way to make money, unfortunitly its only the ones with experience that will make the money, they already been through it and know the ups and downs)

Where I am from there isn't alot of people who breed bettas, especially PK, Halfmoons, theya re considered rare fish and sell when available for 20-60 ea(not including your imported ones), not only that with technoligy and the internet sales in the last 3-5 years have picked up for selling stuff like fish through shipping. Half my supplies I don't even buy at my LFS because why would I pay 2-3 times the amount when I can buy online at the fraction of the cost? I think within the next 3-5 years you will see a major change in the hobby, I think you will see only the breeders survive and very few LFS actually stay open and not talking your local PetSmart etc, talking fish only stores, one tried to open near me and looks like it won't last another month. I have noticed at the LFS in my area alot of prices are jumping up on fish, the normal cardinal tetris use to be $1 ea now its $3 ea, I think this is showing hard times for them already, tank prices have even went up in price use to be 100 for a 120 where I am now its more than triple in price in the last 2 years Besides if you look at it, isn't it better to buy a betta from a breeder? I support highly dealing with transhippers and dealing with breeders they have way more information on your fish than a lfs would. They know the Gene pool and a lfs don't, or they don't give that out.

Your post is kinda the same thing why do people post rants about bettas being in a 1 gal tank or less and why do people post min should be 5 gal,the way they are kept at your local walmart so be the fool buy it make them money they will stock them back up again next shipment(This is why I would always recommend someone to buy from a breeder because they spend so much on setups for there fry the ones that actually do are your real breeders), yet I see alot here that have sick fish someone that is already attached to something they own and yet I see not many posts on something like that to help the person out on the disease, but yet stuff like this gets posted and a ton of replies compared to the sick ones!? Why not reply and redirect them to the sick area there is no excuse to not reply to them weather you know what it is or not, even a reply to go to the sick area in the forum?. Reading Kekmets reply I agree! This area seems the worst for rants and raves, really there are more speimens than just Splendens .............

I'd love to breed but in all honesty, I'd feel pretty rotten creating more babies (who until I am very experienced may be 'cute' but certainly not 'desireable') when there are so many culls needing to be adopted and so many sick fish that need some TLC. Seems kinda selfish to create more pets when there is already a massive surplus of unwanted pets anyway ^^

I feel bad enough buying fish instead of adopting or rehoming them.

couldnt have said it better myself Assaye. id love to give it a go, but can not justify it one bit. however, there is a difference between good breeding (carrying good lines etc) and someone who does it just to do it without any consideration for the cross. sort of like good dog breeders and ones that just let their dogs breed (for money or just plain irresponsibility).
cheers

The breeding craze I was talking about is to do with teens thinking they can make a quick buck from it with just their VT or whatever, not realising how much is involved. It irritates me. "Professional breeders" - sure, why not, you know you get a good fish. I just don't see why all these fish should be created when most of the ones that aren't bred for tail types etc just end up in LFS' for very little money.

And I don't see what sick fish have to do with my post Shadowinc :/

The breeding craze I was talking about is to do with teens thinking they can make a quick buck from it with just their VT or whatever, not realising how much is involved. It irritates me. "Professional breeders" - sure, why not, you know you get a good fish. I just don't see why all these fish should be created when most of the ones that aren't bred for tail types etc just end up in LFS' for very little money.

And I don't see what sick fish have to do with my post Shadowinc :/
right. but when the realize just how much oges into (time and moeny) surely it would be a deterrent. realistically very little money to be made for "recreational" breeders. with poor stock (mot following gentic/healthy lines) their options ofr betta outlets would be limited and i feel like they'd just give up the practice.
cheers

I'd love to breed but in all honesty, I'd feel pretty rotten creating more babies (who until I am very experienced may be 'cute' but certainly not 'desireable') when there are so many culls needing to be adopted and so many sick fish that need some TLC. Seems kinda selfish to create more pets when there is already a massive surplus of unwanted pets anyway ^^

I feel bad enough buying fish instead of adopting or rehoming them.

Although many will disagree with what I say now but some will see my point and hopefully the point I get across is stronger than what you are suggesting here,... adopted a cull fish hmm, ... I cull mine and gone for the simple reason I follow lines so I am not your normal lets make a quick dollar breeder. The other thing, my wife breeds toy dogs so adopt a puppy with a clef pallet then is what you are actually saying puppies get culled just like fish do. BTW you can't keep a dog with clef pallet the breeder has to destroy them or have them destroyed unless you feel like spendind thousands on 1 dog, its just easier to put it out of its misery same with people that cull fish its for the same reasons...... Edit(Trust me I never understood at first, the first toy dog we had to destroy my floor was flooding because of my tears I learned its just the way life is Mother Nature can be mean for many reasons)Have to always be willing to take the good with the bad

Sometimes life just isn't fair and it should be up to the breeder to decide if it needs culling or not, its sad the fish in my area I don't see this with are discus, and I feel like slapping the breeders for this!

I think a lot of people breed bettas (or other animals) either out of love of the species or maybe even in an attempt to improve it by carefully picking partners with healthy or desireable traits... if it's just a kid sticking two bettas he got off the shelf together and hoping they make babies, it's not breeding, it's just populating. Big difference.

That annoys me too, but on the other hand... if it weren't bettas, it'd be something else those people would be sticking together... like dogs and cats... at least betta fish can't grow up to hurt someone, you know? Lesser of two evils. Doesn't make it 'ok' but something to keep in mind.

Personally my pet peeve is people who treat their pets like tissue paper. Oh no, a fluctuation of .01 degrees! YOUR FISH IS GONNA DIE!!! Gimmee a break. I have an eight year old betta, they are NOT delicate little sugardrops and they don't go belly up because the wrong color light is turned on them.

I'm with you there. Of all the fish i've collected Bettas have bee the toughest. Drastic temp changes and water conditions don't seem to affect them as much as other community fish.

I think people do just enjoy the challenge, for me it is anyways, i like the spawning technique its lovely to watch, its the beauty of it and what the fry will turn out like

sure its hardwork but its rewarding to watch them grow up, its teh same with any fish, its like an accomplishment

[ps just to join in, i hate the 'omg look at this, isnt it cruel! *points to a 2ltr tub*' yes we all know it is...]

ahem :)

Could you provide some steps for an aspiring breeder? For example, ratio of female to male Bettas and surroundings?

Squid I understand your point completely but I've been guilted into getting a betta (Smurf) before from a LPS. I didn't get him because I looked at him and he made my toes curl. I got him because I was running a tank and he looked so miserable and was in terrible shape. I know it doesn't help the LPS situation but sometimes your heart rules your head. Know what I mean?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back