Why did my plants melt?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So just setup a 29 gallon with fluval stratum. I got my plants from buce plant and some from other tanks. My cabomba is totally melted into mush. My jungle Val also completely melted. I took some clippings of rotala from another tank with lower light and it started to melt but is now coming back and growing green leaves. I had a little amazon sword that’s about 2 inches in length and that has completely melted. Any ideas why?

New plants will often melt in a new environment whether it be lighting, parameters, etc. Not only that but if the plants were to be grown emersed, out of the water, then it will surely melt. Don't worry though, the plants will bounce back over time.

New plants will often melt in a new environment whether it be lighting, parameters, etc. Not only that but if the plants were to be grown emersed, out of the water, then it will surely melt. Don't worry though, the plants will bounce back over time.
I know that but was surprised at how fast it happened and even with my Val and rotala that were already grown submerged. Question, how long from when the plants completely melt would it take for them to start growing and looking nice and green again?

I had jungle val melt too and then my mystery snails ate the rest. It had only been in the tank for two weeks or so.

If the plants spent several days in transit it can kill them.
If the plants are exposed to high temperatures or really cold conditions during transit they can die.
If the plants are moved into water with a completely different chemistry (pH and GH) they will die. This is common for Vallis and Cabomba.
If the plants came from a coldwater pond and went into a tropical tank, they can die.

Narrow Vallis and Ambulia are better choices and more tolerant of varying water conditions.

I really liked their look and at first they did a great job of cleaning but then the 2 of them found my plants and literally destroyed 3 jungle val and 2 moneywort and a hornwort plant in about 2 weeks.:mad: So I gave them to my bother-in-law and now they eat plastic (plants) :kana:

I really liked their look and at first they did a great job of cleaning but then the 2 of them found my plants and literally destroyed 3 jungle val and 2 moneywort and a hornwort plant in about 2 weeks.:mad: So I gave them to my bother-in-law and now they eat plastic (plants) :kana:
Lol. I have mystery snails In my other planted tank and they don’t eat my plants...or at least I don’t think they do

If the plants spent several days in transit it can kill them.
If the plants are exposed to high temperatures or really cold conditions during transit they can die.
If the plants are moved into water with a completely different chemistry (pH and GH) they will die. This is common for Vallis and Cabomba.
If the plants came from a coldwater pond and went into a tropical tank, they can die.

Narrow Vallis and Ambulia are better choices and more tolerant of varying water conditions.
So they won’t comeback?

Lol. I have mystery snails In my other planted tank and they don’t eat my plants...or at least I don’t think they do
All I can say is good luck, mine were golden mystery snails and at first they were great and after 2-3 months one started eating my plants-mostly those that had melted or dead leaves at first then they moved on to some of my good plants and finally ate a moneywort that I just planted all that was left was the stem and a few floating leaves. I replaced them with nerite snails and have been happy ever since.

All I can say is good luck, mine were golden mystery snails and at first they were great and after 2-3 months one started eating my plants-mostly those that had melted or dead leaves at first then they moved on to some of my good plants and finally ate a moneywort that I just planted all that was left was the stem and a few floating leaves. I replaced them with nerite snails and have been happy ever since.
Dang I’ll look out then

When you put a plant in a new tank it may melt. The new lighting, new parameters ect can cause melting. Your plant will be fine, it will likely grow back stronger

When you put a plant in a new tank it may melt. The new lighting, new parameters ect can cause melting. Your plant will be fine, it will likely grow back stronger
Thanks. I have never experienced melt with new plants like this so I was curious

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back