Why can't I just grab stuff from the ocean?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Vincerama

Reaction score
I live in San Francisco...is there any reason I can't just grab rocks and such (and water?) from the Pacific Ocean or Bay (well, the ocean...the Bay is not very clean)?

There is a tidal pool near hear called Moss Beach and when the tides are out, you can see a lot of small hermit crabs, etc. Would rocks from this area be "live" or is there too much random stuff in the ocean to start a safe tank with?

Thanks!

Vince

well i supose you could take stuff but would not recomend it

these hermit crabs and things may not be reef safe they may grow very large and eat corals and other such

live rock is rock smashed away from the reef in a storm
the rock contains many diffrent type of organisms
may it be bacteria or small corals and sponges and other such like

also i would not put any thing in my tank that hasnt been quarintined
as you could infect all you lovly fish with somthing

and i know i wouldnt like my prized £400 fish to die because took somthing from the sea that i shouldnt have

for more info try www.ultimatereef.com there forums are all about marines

hope this helps mj

Ah, OK...

So it sounds like if I lived in HAWAII or somewhere where there was actually nice reefs it might make more sense.

Having said that, what might be a good source for nice live rock (ie; reasonably priced and maybe chock full of nice stuff?)

Vince

I am not entriely sure but i suspect this would be illegal anyway, the aquatic trade are facing tougher restrictions to ensure that the enviroment is protected add that to earlier comments and its not ta great idea

I know there is some brand out of Tampa Florida. They ship rock in water. This means that you get MORE cool little critters. The only problem is they are a more dense rock, thus a smaller surface area for bacteria, and more wieght per square inch. Optimally, Fiji rock or some other South Pacific stock of live rock is best for surface area, but they are shipped dry. This is the delima you will face in selecting live rock, and that is just two of the MANY sources of live rock.

Hope this helps.

Maybe if you were starting from scratch then you may be able to get some creatures. I was reading this site where they were getting fish, starfish even an octopus from the beach (rock pools) and kept them in their tank.

If you live in San Francisco there is a FANTASTIC LFS in Hayward, Aquarium Concepts, it focuses on marine, so they have a huge selection, most of their stock is healthy and they know ALOT about marine compatibility/feeding etc. Reasonable prices too.

It is possible to use sea water. There is a site (that I can't think of now) that tells you where you can get good sea water from. I know that I has to be at high tide, not after any storms etc. and not near any waste outlets.
Will get back to you on the web site as soon as I can. I know that you type in your region and it tells you where to go.

Definatley get your water from the ocean

My first two attempts at getting my marine tank to work I used this instant ocean in a box crap and at $50AUS (About 2 cents US) it was a waste of money.

Now I get 40L a fornight from a beach near me and my tank is as healty as the barrier reef!

B)

thebulk said:
Definatley get your water from the ocean

My first two attempts at getting my marine tank to work I used this instant ocean in a box crap and at $50AUS (About 2 cents US) it was a waste of money.

Now I get 40L a fornight from a beach near me and my tank is as healty as the barrier reef!

B)
Evidently you don't live near the English channel - the only thing I think you could keep alive in that would be eels!

Most reactions

Back