Who's Got/had/wants Black Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The flow in your tank will help with that. A well directed current in your tank will "sweep" all of the mess into one area, making it easy to clean. I like the fact that it sits on top because then I know that there's isn't some secret nastiness building up between the bits of gravel. I've purchased a battery operated vac so that I can clean my substrate 2-3 times a week without doing a water change. Regarding a buildup of yuck under ornaments...sorry I've not had that problem thus far so can't really advise about it!

I've stirred my sand once in the 4 months or so that my tank has been set up and I had no bubbles escape when I did it. I also have trumpet snails which help to keep the sand turned over and therefore "fresh". You'll only need to stir the sand in the non planted areas of your tank, if I understand correctly.

Here's my planted commnity

DSCN4816.jpg

Just a huge WOW at the contrast the albino cories are making on black sand! This will definitely be something I consider for my tank.

Very nice Dieses! Now if I can only find a place to buy black sand to fill a 55g without leaving an arm and a leg in the process...

1a71c588.jpg

That's my 45L tank in my room

Love the black sand, and after cleaning all the crap out of my 90L black gravel which took about 3-4 hours today to clean, I'm gonna get black sand in my 90L next payday

Here's my planted commnity

Just a huge WOW at the contrast the albino cories are making on black sand! This will definitely be something I consider for my tank.

Very nice Dieses! Now if I can only find a place to buy black sand to fill a 55g without leaving an arm and a leg in the process...
If you find a cheap place let me know! I only have one arm and one leg left to sell after putting down this sand!

Ack! now I want black sand in the 90ltr I'm planning!! :( *looks lovingly at limbs and prepares to say goodbye*

I've heard different things about different types of sand available, for example, the tahitian sand is apparently sharp and therefore not so good for corys... anyone had any problems with it? Or anyone have any recommendations for other types?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back