Who's Got Crabs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i want a freshwater crab to go with my lil betta, anybody keep crabs? I have no idea which ones to get etc so any tips would be appreciated. tank is 4gall

Crabs and small fish, especially bettas, are not a good mix. A crab will eventually make a meal of your betta. They hunt at night when the betta will be very inactive and possibly resting on the bottom. An easy meal for the crab.

Nearly all freshwater crabs that you see in stores need land (And often brackish water, too). A quick google turned up this list of fully or nearly fully aquatic crabs, but raises a point: Fish that rest at the bottom are in danger of getting eaten.

Maybe some shrimp would be a better option - they won't hurt the betta, but I don't know about the other way around.

has anyone had an experience with a crab eating/attacking thier fish?

Yes actually, when I first tried crabs ( 2 of them ) they ate my little fishies! :angry: So, they were put in their own seperate tank. :good:

i want a freshwater crab to go with my lil betta, anybody keep crabs? I have no idea which ones to get etc so any tips would be appreciated. tank is 4gall
NO!!!! Do Not put a crab with your betta!! First of all, they do not mix at all, your betta will get ugly because the crab will tear up the poor fishys gorgeous fins, and then eventually the crab will eat your betta. Trust me, I strongly do not recommend what you are wanting to do, take from someone who has crabs and has already experienced the tragedy once ( will never happen again ) Lol, good luck! try something else, but ask 1st.

Yes actually, when I first tried crabs ( 2 of them ) they ate my little fishies! :angry: So, they were put in their own seperate tank. :good:

NO!!!! Do Not put a crab with your betta!! First of all, they do not mix at all, your betta will get ugly because the crab will tear up the poor fishys gorgeous fins, and then eventually the crab will eat your betta. Trust me, I strongly do not recommend what you are wanting to do, take from someone who has crabs and has already experienced the tragedy once ( will never happen again ) Lol, good luck! try something else, but ask 1st.

yeah you're right - thanks

Whos got crabs? what a personal question - are you expecting people to own up?? :lol:

Crabs are much better in a brackish half land half water aquarium as they need land aswel. They are carniverous/scavengers and will eat betta!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back