Whoa. Starfish?!?!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

-Nemo-

Build-A-Reef
Reaction score
I'm really freaked out right now :hyper:

I've had my tank up 3 weeks now and just feed the inverts when i see these 3 legs come out towards a pellet of food. :crazy: First thing i think, it looks like a starfish leg! I've seen 4 legs so far, stickin out to grab food. The tips are pink and the rest is a dark purplish color. Any help with an ID or even if it is a starfish? I don't know what else it could be really. Thanks :fun: Its not even worth taking a picture i think, becuase my camera would do it no justice.

Edit: the legs kinda look like this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=735 Color wise, except the legs aren't stripped like that. IT seems to be either a kind of brittle or Serpent starfish from what i've seen so far.

Still no clue what it is, but it has moved to the other side of the tank under another piece of rock, i can only see one leg now. I've been looking at the tank almost continuously today, and I can't believe i missed it moving :(

not sure exactly what it is but the most common starfish hitchhikers are serpent sea stars. How big is it and taking a picture will definatly help for getting an ID :good:

The only thing i ever see from it is the ends of its legs every so often, which are always in awkward places, so a picture would do no good because my camera sucks :no:

Earlier, one leg i saw looked about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long.

EDIT: The rock its under right now is small, do you think i should lift it up, or just leave it alone?

don't i feel silly :lol:

upon lifting up the rock i see not a starfish but a rather large bristle worm.
Note to self: Buy rubber gloves this weekend.

I'm disappointed :( I guess i'll be buying a starfish now cause i was so excited that i thought i had one :rolleyes:

Careful with starfish in nano's, they can starve because lack of available food (things we cant supplement). Make sure you read a bit before hand, im sure you would anyway! :good:

Sounded like a brittle star to me. Often this will be all you will see. They hide there large center underneath a rock or substrate, and extend there legs, so all you will see is 1-5 small little bristly legs poking around. :good:

Most reactions

Back