Who Use Day And Night Lights?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

boshk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone use LED lights which has timer or customisable control giving essentially a day night cycle?

I'm sat here 10pm and tank light is off. Its a 2 tube Day+Nature T5 light.
I was thinking, it would be nice to have a 'night' or 'moonlight' light so I can still see the aquarium.

I use cheap blue led lights for 4 hours after my main lights are out on my saltwater.my other tanks,no.it looks great at night.

boshk said:
Anyone use LED lights which has timer or customisable control giving essentially a day night cycle?

I'm sat here 10pm and tank light is off. Its a 2 tube Day+Nature T5 light.
I was thinking, it would be nice to have a 'night' or 'moonlight' light so I can still see the aquarium.

Fish and plants can easily be negatively impacted by lighting.  I authored an article on this that was posted in another thread, so I'll move on to the specific question raised in post #1.

This dual-lighting has to be controlled.  If the tank light goes off at "x" time, the so-called "moon" or pale blue lighting may then be on [it should come on before the main light goes off or it will stress the fish] for a fairly brief period [one or two hours], after which there must be complete darkness.

Byron.

It also depends on your personal taste. I, for one, can't stand how the blue lighting looks in a tank...it's just so strange...looks nothing like moonlight imo. If you are interested though, Finnex makes an LED called the Finnex 24/7 Planted+ or something like that. It has a 24 hr setting to mimic an actual day/night cycle. It's a pretty nifty light.

I do in my reef tank, but not my FW. 
In a reef tank, as in nature, many things will spawn based on the moon. My lights are on a controller that matches the moon cycle to the natural cycle of my geographic location. So when it's a full moon outside it is in my tank, or if there is a new moon the tank is dark etc. The lights do the same thing during the day going from sunrise to sunset with the brightest time being at noon. 

I use Finnex: Planted Plus 24/7 LED light strip, and I love it, Sunrise and Sunset are just beautiful to wake up and fall asleep to. Although, I do wish the night lights were a bit dimmer, I mean I could just adjust the brightness, but then that would effect the daytime lighting to be dimmer and I would have to constantly adjust it, it's fine. OVerall, I love my lights, and more importantly my fish do as well.

RainboWBacoN420 said:
I use Finnex: Planted Plus 24/7 LED light strip, and I love it, Sunrise and Sunset are just beautiful to wake up and fall asleep to. Although, I do wish the night lights were a bit dimmer, I mean I could just adjust the brightness, but then that would effect the daytime lighting to be dimmer and I would have to constantly adjust it, it's fine. OVerall, I love my lights, and more importantly my fish do as well.

That's great to hear, I plan on ordering it soon for my 55g

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back