Who is my goldfishes mate???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sushi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I've read on the net that goldfish ( the male is it???) get the white bumps on their gills when they want to spawn. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a while since I read this.
Anyway, I wrote a post a while back about how my comet is chasing my fantail.
Looking at their 'ventral' (???? write word??/) areas for the pointing out on the female, and indented on the male and they both appear to be the same. so I'm wondering if they weren't infact wanting to mate.
Anyway, blah blah, My comet has the white bumps on his gills. Does this mean he wants to spawn??? I'd like them to. How do I know which fish to pair him up with to breed? How would I make them breed? Would they spawn in a 20Lapx tank? (I'd move them there) there's no other fish that i've noticed him chasing so who's his mate. If any?
Please help me if you know about this sort of stuff, I would like to try to breed them. :D

Goldfish won't pair of as individuals, from what you descirbe it sounds as though your Comet is in breeding mode, however, this does not mean the Fantail is. IMO they should not be breed, the off-spring would be hard to get rid of as they are likely to be deformed 'mungrals' that shops won't take. Alot of the fish are also likely to have inherited disorders due to the cross matching of the parents genetics, maybe if it was another Comet, but I wouldn't breed a Fantail and Comet.

Most reactions

Back