White Substance On Bottom Of Tank - Identify?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JaynToni

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a new 24G Nano cube that 4 or 5 days ago, I added salt to (Instant Ocean).

Starting two days ago, a small patch of some white substance started accumilating on the bottom tank glass and has since grown to cover most of the bottom glass. The substance is not easily loosened. It takes effort and scrubbing and then becomes water born where it doesn't seem to dissolve readily, i.e. it clouds the water. I am hesitant to say that it is salt because I would expect salt to dissolve and not stick to the glass.

Is this normal? Could it possibly be calcium build up? Is this something to be concerned about? There is nothing else added to the tank but the salt mixture. RO/DI water was used.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have LR coming in scheduled to deliver 3/29 and don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Could be calcium buildup... Can you test for calcium and/or take pics?

SkiFletch....I do not have a calcium test yet but I have attempted to take some pictures. Not sure they are good enough to derive any conclusions from. The streaks you see in there are where I used my finger to scrub the substance loose.

I have never posted pictures before so I hope they go through. If not, I may need coaching to learn how to post them!! :)

Thanks for the link......let's try this again.

Hi SH.

I added the salt directly to the tank that was already filled with RO/DI water. I had the two tank pumps running (one being the stock pump and outlet and the other being another pump with a modded outlet in the false wall.) I also threw in another pump into the bottom of the tank for circulation while I poured the salt in and left it in there for two days until all was mixed and then removed that third pump. In short, I had three pumps causing water circulation.

The second day after the salt was added, everything looked clear. It stayed that way for a few more days and then slowly started getting this white build up. Started in one corner of the bottom one day, covered half the bottom the next, and almost the entire bottom the day after that.

I scrubbed to loosen it all last night and it clouded my water. Today, water is back clear with no signs of the substance beginning to accumulate again. Beats the hell outta me!!! :dunno:

Most reactions

Back