matchstickman47
Fish Herder
i have a piece of bogwood that is lying in a bucket of watef but fungusy spots apeard on it
I could not tell you what the white spots are.i have a piece of bogwood that is lying in a bucket of watef but fungusy spots apeard on it
(Might be a little messy)
Its fairly normal for bogwood/mopani/redwood to grow a white fungus on it, upon first being submerged.
As the wood is not in the tank yet, this is nothing to worry about, if you can, boil it for a while, if its too large, put it in a large bucket and pour boiling water over it and scrub it with a brush (that hasnt been used for anything else). This will 1. clean any nasties that could be lurking on it and will remove the fungus (albeit maybe temporarily).
Once its been in the tank it may well come back, it is not harmful to the fish, in fact some will munch on it, I had loads of it grow all over some redmoor wood, instead of taking it out and cleaning it (it had been thoroughly cleaned prior to putting it in), I put one of my BN plecs in and some apple snails, who have enjoyed every minute of eating it and its now lovely and clean and the fungus hasnt grown back again.
In fact I found that scrubbing some of it off, made it grow back quickly, whereas the plec/snails it hasnt grown back again. My plec has a lovely fat tummy full of it![]()
