White String on Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

livelifelow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed a few days ago that one of my guppies was bloated and thought along the top looked like it was pineconing slightly, so I thought it had dropsy. Yesterday I noticed that he has a white string coming out from his side.

NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 40 at water change usually
Temp: 76F
Water change is generally 10 gallons once a week, 15 if I think it's nastier.
Size: 34 gallons
Tankmates: 2 male guppies, 1 black skirt tetra, 1 Julie cory, 1 opaline gourami, 2 BN plecos, 2 bamboo shrimp, 6ish nitrile snails, and an unfortunate collection of small pond snails
Chemicals: Flourish comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium, Flourish tabs, API CO2 Booster, and some pellet that the woman at the store said to add once a week for the plants. I started using all of these over a month ago.
Food: API tropical greens and Hikari algae wafers

I did clean one of the filters this weekend in old tank water and added some
Maple, oak, and birch leaves to the tank, though I believe the bloat may have begun prior to that.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    638.2 KB · Views: 541
Hi.

Can you post a larger close up of that fish please? That Guppy has some sort of parasite or worm, we need to identify it and treat all the fish in the tank.

API CO2 Booster,
In my opinion this stuff is rubbish and thats where it belongs.

Flourish comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium, Flourish tabs,
These are OK.

and some pellet that the woman at the store said to add once a week for the plants.

Without knowing what these are I can't comment, Can you provide more detail please.

Tankmates: 2 male guppies, 1 black skirt tetra, 1 Julie cory, 1 opaline gourami, 2 BN plecos, 2 bamboo shrimp, 6ish nitrile snails, and an unfortunate collection of small pond snails

You also have stocking issues but we will deal with that latter,

Helpers please note

The member has Nirite snails and bamboo shrimp so any medication recommended will need to be invert safe or the inverts will need to be removed.

From the picture I can say he looks a fair bit bloated. Perhaps because of over feeding, constipation or internal parasites. Is he always sitting on the substrate like that? Generally a healthy guppy will be actively swimming around, often nears the surface while looking for food.

As for the white string, if you mean his dorsal fin then there isn't anything to be done about it unless it is actually rotting away, in which case fin rot becomes the issue and treatment is necessary.

As Nick stated, there are some stocking issues that need to be looked into.

Demeter
Yesterday I noticed that he has a white string coming out from his side.

It looks like some sort of worm poking out the side I think, thats why I asked for a better photo.

The bloating could be from internal parasites.

Oh my, I skipped right past the first paragraph and went straight to the parameters and pictures. What can I say, it's past my bed time :p

I still say it is a parasitic problem. The white bit could possibly be a skin fluke, in which case API general cure might fix that if it isn't too late. I believe it is invertebrate safe, seeing as it didn't kill off my snails that one time.

Unfortunately, the day after I took the pictures the white thing was mostly gone. There's a tiny bit still attached, but it's barely discernible from the scales. He has been hanging out on the gravel, hiding under leaves but does come out for food. I noticed today while trying to get a picture that his scales are flaking off very easily.

I forgot to include 2 neon tetras in the stocking. Is the CO2 booster something that would cause harm or just not worth replacing once it's gone? I've included a picture of the pellet that I was given to put in the tank once a week. I don't think it's related, but the black skirt has had a swollen eye for a couple months, which I assumed was from the gourami since that's about when he started to get aggressive.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 333
The guppy passed last night, was completely unbloated when I found him. Is there anything I can do to treat the probable parasite problem in the tank or just wait to see if I can get a better picture if a different fish gets it?

Water changes. Lots of them.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back