White spots on amazon sword roots

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi. During water change today I noticed some of the roots are out of water, ....and covered in white stuff. What the heck could these be?

I appreciate all of your help and insights.
IMG_20221031_140035.jpg

No idea what those are I haven't seen anything like that on any of my plants. Looks like some fungal fruiting bodies or some type of protozoan creature on the roots. I would pull the microscope out to look at those.

No idea what those are I haven't seen anything like that on any of my plants. Looks like some fungal fruiting bodies or some type of protozoan creature on the roots. I would pull the microscope out to look at those.
I have a flourish root tab near the roots before they floated up out of the gravel. Could it be from the tabs?

Potentially, without better pictures it would be hard to tell. Have you considered taking a sample and looking at it closer. Personally it doesn't look like some sort of mineral bloom, I use root tabs (seachem flourish) too but haven't seen anything like what you are seeing. Honest it looks like some of the fungal sporangia, the issue for me is that the fungi I know that would produce them are terrestrial. It still looks like some sort of organism to me, but what I really don't know.

Potentially, without better pictures it would be hard to tell. Have you considered taking a sample and looking at it closer. Personally it doesn't look like some sort of mineral bloom, I use root tabs (seachem flourish) too but haven't seen anything like what you are seeing. Honest it looks like some of the fungal sporangia, the issue for me is that the fungi I know that would produce them are terrestrial. It still looks like some sort of organism to me, but what I really don't know.
How likely is it that it is a threat to be removed? I'm not a scientist so I cannot imagine what I'd do with a sample. Lol🧐

Not my field of study but I suspect the threat is low to nil. As always keep an eye out on your fish's behavior. I would still like to see a closer picture if for anything just to see if it can be identified.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back