White on fins, thick lipped Gourami

Nabaliss

Reaction score
Yesterday I added 2 Thick lipped Gourami to my 39gal community tank. I got them from PetSmart. I had the light off all day yesterday because they're pretty shy, so I didn't notice until this morning, when I turned the light on to feed, one of them has some white on his fins. Is this just his natural coloring? Or something concerning?

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_102927.jpg
    IMG_20190525_102927.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 330
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you provide a clearer picture and tell us what white bits you are talking about?

Make sure your water quality is good and there is no ammonia, nitrite and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.

How long has the tank been set up for?

Maybe do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate if you haven't done one recently. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If the filter is more than 2 months old, and it hasn't been cleaned in the last 2 weeks, give it a clean. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you provide a clearer picture and tell us what white bits you are talking about?

Make sure your water quality is good and there is no ammonia, nitrite and the nitrate is less than 20ppm.

How long has the tank been set up for?

Maybe do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate if you haven't done one recently. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If the filter is more than 2 months old, and it hasn't been cleaned in the last 2 weeks, give it a clean. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

That was the best pic I could get of him, he hides in the top corner under his bubble nest when I get close to the tank. The white spots are on the tips of his fins. He's happily swimming around & eating, but he's very shy.

I've had the tank for 6 weeks, but it's been running for about 5yrs. I bought it used with some of the fish still in it (brought them home still in the tank with water & established filter, etc). I use the API master test kit, I test & do partial water changes every Weds. Ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 & nitrates are less than 20. I use Tetra water conditioner dechlorinator with every water change. I took out gravel & switched to sand 2 weeks ago, so it's really clean.

The rest of my fish are fine, it's just the spots/coloring of this new guy's fins that has me worrying.

He thinks I can't see him

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_204533.jpg
    IMG_20190525_204533.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 323
The yellowish marks on the dorsal (top) and anal (bottom) fins is not normal colouration. It is the wrong shape and colour for white spot and might be Lymphocystis or something else.

Monitor it and post pics if it changes or gets worse.

The yellowish marks on the dorsal (top) and anal (bottom) fins is not normal colouration. It is the wrong shape and colour for white spot and might be Lymphocystis or something else.

Monitor it and post pics if it changes or gets worse.

Ok, thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back