white fuzzy stuff on plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Briarmoor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I noticed some white fuzzy stuff on the bottom part of a plant in my tank. It is the plant looks like yard grass. The other plants are okay and so are the fish. I have similar "grass" in my 55g that is cycling and it is fine.

Should I remove this plant and dispose of it? What is the white fuzzy stuff? Is the plant rotting? It is an aquarium plant. The bottom of the grass blades are darker colored than the tops.

I noticed this problem after I put zuchini in the tank overnight for the fish a couple of times. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

P.

Gosh, I wouldn't think so, just on one plant? The gourami and corys pick at it. Weird. If it is a fungus (could it be any kind of white algae???), why is it just on the one plant? Should I be worried? I want to get that plant out of there if it is something bad.

P.

not sure in that case. you could always up root it, rince in a 1:19 mix of bleach/water then plunge into heavily dechlorinated water for 5 mins or so.

that will kill all algae. you can then replant it. the plant will survive the bleach dip, algae wont.

dont forget to dechlorinate after though or you'll kill your fish

The grass is not real fuzzy now, but the bottom of the blades have all lost their green color. About midway up, there is green, but it is almost like the plant is dying like a house plant does if there is too much water in its pot. If I can't figure out the problem, I may just take the plant out and replace it. The other grass plant in the other tank is okay. All the other plants in this tank are okay, it is just the grass plant.

P.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back