White algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SKO

Reaction score
This has just started showing up. Not sure what to do about it.

Attachments

• IMG_4826.JPG
    IMG_4826.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 25
looks to be some sort of biofilm, a history of the tank might be helpful. I will say it does not look like any algae I have encountered.

It's a 40 gallon tank that we restarted about a month ago. We did a tear down to control black beard algae. There's approximately 25 fish.
The material on the rock came off easily with a toothbrush, so yes, I tend to agree it's probably not algae.

Use a turkey baster and try to suck the stuff off the surfaces. A water change will help, and try fasting the fish/creatures in the tank for a couple days

It's a 40 gallon tank that we restarted about a month ago. We did a tear down to control black beard algae. There's approximately 25 fish.
The material on the rock came off easily with a toothbrush, so yes, I tend to agree it's probably not algae.
If you take it off with a toothbrush, it will just go on somewhere else, also I had the same thing in one of my tanks a while back, and it just kept coming back so I turkey bastered it, and then got some siamese algae eaters and it was gone 😁

It could also be some dead black beard algae that landed on something. Mine was an annoying thing that originated from a trimming from someone else’s plant

I would do large water changes vacuuming up as much of the material while doing so. Bacterial blooms tend to burn through the nutrients then settle down if you don't keep feeding them, so I might start feeding my fish less if they look well fed.

I won't guess as to the whitish stuff in the foreground, but as you mention black brush algae I will say there is some on the Java Fern leaves in the upper right corner. You may have an imbalance, which is the cause of BBA. Establishing or re-establishing the balance of light and nutrients is the only way to deal with "problem" algae. May or may not affect the other, whatever it is.

Never but never acquire a fish to deal with a problem, unless you like the fish and can provide for its needs. Siamese Algae Eaters for example need a group, they attain 5-6 inches so a large tank, and their penchant for eating algae is not always present.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back