Whiskers in the front?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

u8mypaygoo

Reaction score
been kind of worried about my my Gold Gourami. It's by it self in a 10 gallon tank with a pot and heater with filter. It swims with its whisker like things infront of him, not really on the side or behind him. what wrong with it?or is there anything wrong wiht it?

-u8mypaygoo

u8mypaygoo said:
been kind of worried about my my Gold Gourami. It's by it self in a 10 gallon tank with a pot and heater with filter. It swims with its whisker like things infront of him, not really on the side or behind him. what wrong with it?or is there anything wrong wiht it?

-u8mypaygoo
[snapback]870805[/snapback]​
If you had a pic of him it would be easier to tell if it is a deformity or just him feeling around for another fish. Now from my experience the gold gourami is one of the most vicious of gouramis, but he might be feeling around for someone else. That is what those whiskers are, just feelers. Has it been in the tank for a while or is it in a new home? If it is new, he could just be feeling around for a place to take over(territory).
And FYI, you might consider getting a bigger tank. Minimum req. are a 20, if I am not mistaken.

the "whiskers" are modified ventral fins used to taste and feel, so your gourami has probably been exploring the tank an his tankmates.

Dwarfs said:
the "whiskers" are modified ventral fins used to taste and feel, so your gourami has probably been exploring the tank an his tankmates.
[snapback]876853[/snapback]​

Yep, I did some research a while back and read that Gouramis come from dark, murky water and they often use their "whiskers" to feel thier way around. I thought was kinda cool so I posted it :cool:

Most reactions

Back