Whiptail catfish lying on its side

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I was thinking that the pH was a bit high and I've just done a water change as well. Thank you for your help
Your other fish can tolerate up to 8, your neons will for a while too. Iā€™d recommend aiming for around 7 this way their needs are balanced. 75% water changes per week during cycling is always useful.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I've now noticed that there's something on his fin, I don't know if it's a worm or a growth. Do you know what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_193813.jpg
    IMG_20190402_193813.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 205
I've now noticed that there's something on his fin, I don't know if it's a worm or a growth. Do you know what it could be?
Iā€™m no expert but if itā€™s moving it could be a leech/worm of some sort. If not then Iā€™d say it could be a cyst of some sort or an infection. I could be wrong though.

Have you added anything into your tank recently?

Nothing new has been added, if it is an infection what would you suggest to treat it?

Nothing new has been added, if it is an infection what would you suggest to treat it?
If it was an infection I would treat it. Looking from the photograph above, it would seem like it would be at the stage were you would need to add medication. People have different opinions on what medication to use. Melafix is good for bacterial infections but not everyone agrees.

Before you start dumping any substances into the tank, you need to ID the problem(s), and then select the most effective and safest product. Any substance added will get inside every fish in the tank, and this will cause at best stress, but can be much worse, and without actually addressing the issue.

The fish are already under stress from the nitrite and nitrate mentioned earlier, so that adds to the issue.

I will not guess at disease issues, so this is only a warning about not jumping overboard. :fish:

Before you start dumping any substances into the tank, you need to ID the problem(s), and then select the most effective and safest product. Any substance added will get inside every fish in the tank, and this will cause at best stress, but can be much worse, and without actually addressing the issue.

The fish are already under stress from the nitrite and nitrate mentioned earlier, so that adds to the issue.

I will not guess at disease issues, so this is only a warning about not jumping overboard. :fish:
I agree with this, however sometimes adding medication canā€™t be avoided. Water changes are the best way forward, but sometimes these arenā€™t enough especially if disease is caught too late.

Apologies after reading your post again I fully agree. Byron is correct in saying that treating fish with medication is harmful, especially if you donā€™t know what youā€™re treating for. In their own habitats fish donā€™t get treated for diseases they are left to fight it of naturally. If your fish can do this, itā€™s always better. Itā€™s quite easy to get carried away with medications. Best of luck.

Thank you for the replies, I will continue doing daily water changes and see if he improves and I'll stay away from the medications unless I should really use them

Just a quick update, he has just died so I'm hoping he hasn't passed anything on to the other fish if it was a bacterial infection

Just a quick update, he has just died so I'm hoping he hasn't passed anything on to the other fish if it was a bacterial infection
I am sorry to hear :( bacterial infections can be spread from what I know but it isnā€™t very common. Your water changes should take care of this. However, Colin pointed out that the fish had fungus so I would go of this. He is much more experienced than me. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need any further help. I hope the water changes clear up the problem. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Any time a fish dies you should wipe down the inside of the glass and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This dilutes disease organisms in the water and reduces the chance of other fish getting sick.

You should also clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. however, if the filter has not finished cycling, then do not clean it until 2 weeks after it has finished.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back