Which Substrate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

meejo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm about to change the substrate in my tank to one specifically for plants as I want to attempt a carpet, I'm looking for a darker substrate, has any got any suggestions? I've had a nosey round but it's not really clear what the pros and cons are for the different sorts. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference to options (availability etc)

Thanks in advance :)

I'm in a similar position.

Found Tahitian Moon Gravel which looks pretty good. Never been a fan of sand. Costs a pretty penny though :/

Will be watching thread.

Well after not getting one response (probs have to find a more active planted tank forum?) I took a punt and ordered Carib Sea Eco Chem, my orders waiting on a delivery of plants before being dispatched so I've not got it yet. Will update with my thoughts once it's in place for anyone finding this thead in search results :)

The planted side of the forum is very active my friend don't take this the wrong way as no offence is intended but that question gets asked so many times every week, use the search function there is lots of useful threads on this subject.

To be fair to the OP I haven't found much on here about black substrate that isn't sand or that horrible painted novelty gravel.

I'm really tempted with tahitian moon gravel so be interested in your update.

Hmm, didn't realise I had two logins :/ oops

Have a look at the ADA substrates Here lots of darker colours available
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/aquatics/substrate-system-substrate-additives

I'd already tried the search but nothing really answered my question :)

At the minute I have laterite mixed in with substrate as a base layer, topped up with gravel. It seems to be working fine, I just want something with more nutrients, the gravel is a nightmare to clean

At the minute I have laterite mixed in with substrate as a base layer, topped up with gravel. It seems to be working fine, I just want something with more nutrients, the gravel is a nightmare to clean

You're kind of looking at it wrong IMO. A good substrate like ADA may have good stuff in it like nutrients and ammonia but they will only last so long - you need to keep them charged by liquid dosing or substrate additives. A less expensive type might be TMC Aquasoil (I think they do a black one too) - With your Laterite you have the chance to do well by either getting plenty of nutrients in to the water column and "charging" it or by sticking some root plugs in or Osmocote etc.
If its the black look you want on the cheap look for Unipac sand they do loads of cool colours that you could put over a clay base or osmocote etc
Thats why people get good results from those overpriced clay balls that dont contain anything much - Because they have a CEC value they get charged while they're sat next to the roots of the plant and then come into they're own....

No I know that, I also ordered some Flourish Excel to help. I have unipac stuff in now with laterite, I was planning on keeping the laterite and adding the eco chem stuff instead of the unipac. Then dosing with the Excel stuff. Will that work? do I need to add anything else?

No I know that, I also ordered some Flourish Excel to help. I have unipac stuff in now with laterite, I was planning on keeping the laterite and adding the eco chem stuff instead of the unipac. Then dosing with the Excel stuff. Will that work? do I need to add anything else?
If you dose excel you're high tech, so will need a complete fert, something with nitrate and phosphate etc

Is eco chem not a complete fert? I already have high lighting (I think), not sure of the output per thingy but its 4 x 54w T5 system.

If eco chem isn't enough, is there anyway around it?

do you mean Eco complete substrate??

If so, no it isn't a complete substrate...saying that this does have a good CEC, but this takes time to build up in the substrate. Eco is laces with trace elements, but no N and P, which is needed in abundance in a planted tank (when i say planted tank, i mean a well planted tank with 60% plant coverage).

What size tank are you running ? as with that amount of light(anything under 200l), you're gonna struggle with excel in the long run, it just won't be enough, either lower the light or you're gonna have to go down the pressurised route.

As for ferts, yes your gonna need an all in one complete fert...there are a couple on the market that i have personally used.

http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_65_70_128

or

http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_70_85_86

both are as good as each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back