Which one is honestly hardier?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Squishiebabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was thinking I might try another gourami, since the other one suddenly died for no apparent reasons (right after the time you can exchange expired :X ) and I was wondering if maybe a hardier type would work?

The big question here: Which in your honest opinion, is hardier, and more rewarding? Dwarf gourami or honey gourami?

I believe honeys are hardier in the sense that they don't get bacterial/parasitic infections so much, but you do have to keep the water nice and clean for them. However, my dwarf's personality, so far, is more outgoing than the honeys I have.
That probably doesn't help, much does it? Sorry!!!

Well since you have both, I think it is help still lol. I haven't seen you around the board so much, how are the barbs doing? Mine I think might be mating lol, theres a pair that just stay together all the time, while my other female is more interested in following the Platy lol.
Back to the subject, I think I will get the dwarf, because they are quite pretty, and I'm sure 1 bad fish can't be the end of that kind, I saw Walmart (yes, walmart) had a few new ones, and they were cheaper than my lfs, and their exchange policy is more like, bring a dead fish in with reciept, get a new one, I dont think they really have a policy (they sure were quick to replace my betta, a employee even telling me shes trying to get in bigger cups ect :blink:)
Just a question....could a dwarf get along with a pair of Pearl Gourami later on? I am upgrading, and I do plan on either them, or a pair of rams.

I'd certainly try another dwarf if that's what you really liked. My first one died within a week too. This one though has been just great (knock on wood). As far as putting them with pearls, I think it really depends on how big the tank is that you're planning on moving them into. I myself would go with the rams just to be safe, but Sylvia could probably help you more on that. You should PM her about it if she doesn't respond to this post.
I've been really busy lately so I haven't had all that much time to visit here, but all the fish are doing great. I have a pair of cherries that tend to hang around each other more than the other one too. The smaller female just kind of cruises around on her own, occassionally (sp?) hanging with the cories.
Ttyl!

Yeah, I really like Rams, they're gorgeous so I think I'll go there lol, plan on 30gallon, so I will wait for that pair. They'd be unhappy now. Tomorrow I'll get the dwarf, I need somethin different. This time I'l get a 'normal' one, not the neon blue variation.
Thanks, See ya

i would say that honey gourami have to be easier i hav kept both and had far few problems with them, i dnt now if there is any truth in this but i certainly noticed a difference when i adding living plants, had lots of problems with gouramis until i added live plants, now they seem much happier and more lively so worth a try

IME, honey gouramis are very hardy, I've had one for over a year, nearly a year and a half and he's still doing great :)

In my experience honeys have been the hardier fish (and cuter, in my opinion. Most of the dwarfs I see are the thick-lipped kind)

Most reactions

Back