Which Of These Fish Should Go Into My New Tank First?

Ed Green

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
168
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
Hello

In the initial stages of setting up a new tank and have decided I want the following stock. Can anyone advise me which is best to put in first and if any should be left out for a while.

Dwarf Gourami
German Blue Ram
Galaxy Rasbora (small shoal)

I have read that ram's can be hard to keep alive and are best for a mature tank. How long does a tank have to be up and running with fish before it can be considered mature?

Am I best putting them all in at once as it has been cycled fishless..ly or would I be better putting the Galaxy Rasbora in there on their own for a few weeks?

Thankya

Ed
 
After a fishless cycle i would add a the rasbora shoal first, then the gouramis about 2 weeks later and then the rams 2-3 weeks after that, at the very least

Both Rams and Dwarf Gouramis are sensitive species
 
what size tank are they going into?


35Ltr. Its slightly over the 1inch per 1gallon rule but not by much? What do you recon?

In that case tank is too small, if you went ahead with this stocking in that tank i'd say you'd lose both the rams and gouramis fairly quickly.

You really need at least a 60Litre tank for Rams, a 35L is going to be much more unstable and may also lead to aggression from them.
 
Hi Ed,
TBH, I'd avoid the Dwarf Gourami, due to the fatal Iridovirus they can contract. Rams need absolutely top-notch water quality which, IMO, you won't get in a newly-cycled tank; try to wait a couple of months before adding Rams. You really need to be on top of your water changes, too, to keep them healthy. Have you considered a couple of Honey Gourami?.
 
what size tank are they going into?


35Ltr. Its slightly over the 1inch per 1gallon rule but not by much? What do you recon?

In that case tank is too small, if you went ahead with this stocking in that tank i'd say you'd lose both the rams and gouramis fairly quickly.

You really need at least a 60Litre tank for Rams, a 35L is going to be much more unstable and may also lead to aggression from them.


Ok. Would a single ram and a single gouramis be over stocking the tank? Other research I have done suggests they will be fine - they are both very small and the gouramis is on the suggested list of fish for a small tank?

Thanks!
 
Hi Ed,
TBH, I'd avoid the Dwarf Gourami, due to the fatal Iridovirus they can contract. Rams need absolutely top-notch water quality which, IMO, you won't get in a newly-cycled tank; try to wait a couple of months before adding Rams. You really need to be on top of your water changes, too, to keep them healthy. Have you considered a couple of Honey Gourami?.


Thanks for your input - I havent read anywhere about the Dwarfs sickness problems. The rams are what I am really interested in so would sacrifice the Gourami for them. Perhaps I will look at some small cory's instead as the rams tank mate...
 
What filtration will there be on the tank, Ed?. It'll need to be good to keep the Ram(s) happy. I never had too much luck with them when I tried a couple of years ago, but last November I added a second cannister filter on my 4ft tank and I'm thinking of trying them again. If I hadn't added the second filter, I would even think about it. I wouldn't add any Corys immediately after cycling has completed, give it a couple of months. Oh dear, you asked for advice, and I'm telling you not to put your fave fish in straight away!. If you could explain to your LFS and get some temporary inhabitants in there until it's ready for your Rams and Corys, they may let you part exchange them when the time comes.
 
What filtration will there be on the tank, Ed?. It'll need to be good to keep the Ram(s) happy. I never had too much luck with them when I tried a couple of years ago, but last November I added a second cannister filter on my 4ft tank and I'm thinking of trying them again. If I hadn't added the second filter, I would even think about it. I wouldn't add any Corys immediately after cycling has completed, give it a couple of months. Oh dear, you asked for advice, and I'm telling you not to put your fave fish in straight away!. If you could explain to your LFS and get some temporary inhabitants in there until it's ready for your Rams and Corys, they may let you part exchange them when the time comes.


Not at all - the advice is welcome!

It is the filter that comes standard with the Arc Arcadia - at work right now but will check when I can escape from here. I read that they are a little on the gentle side so was thinking of upgrading anyway.

To be honest I can change my ideas completely if the tank isn’t right for them - id rather have happy critters. What about Bolivian rams? I read that they are less fussy with their water requirements?
 
hmm, no i believe bolivian rams are bigger than blue rams. which grow to 3 inch max.

im waiting to get some blue rams for my 48ltr and i have only just got away with it. im not sure they would be too happy in a 34ltr. any chance you would be able to get a bigger tank? :dunno:

x

they are a pain these small tanks, we have such trouble stocking them correctly, i should now, it has taken me about 3 months too finally now what im looking for x
 
dwarf gourami are very sensative I lost 5 quickly from a fungal infection to the head :(

I have the same arcadia as you i believe and the filter is proberbly not good enough for rams or dwarf gorami, I have a betta and a plec in mine and thats how its staying lol, until i move the plec into a 90L tank when hes big enough to stand up for himself.

I would upgrade the filter to the fluval 1+ or 2+ or even the new U series although i haven't used the smaller ones only the U3 but i like it and it has different flow options for deep water mid water and top water.

I know thats not very useful but given u some things to think about,

hollandA
 

Most reactions

Back
Top