Which of these are bottom feeders?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jay2jay99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering which of these fish are bottom feeders and therefore not suitable with a australian blue lobster,

Platies,
Corydoras catfish,
Silver Hatchets,
Bristlenose plecos,
Glowlight tetras,
Black phantom tetras,
Rummynose tetras,
Harlequin rasboras.

Thanks,

Jay.

Ok... Cories are, bristle plecs are, tetra's aren't but if your lobster can catch one they will make a nice snack. Platies aren't, I don't think hatchets are. Not sure aboot the rest.

Corys and the bristlenose - the rest are mid or top swimming. But I'm sure your lobster won't mind - he'll have a fine time trying to snack on them.

I have a friend who keeps several species of freshwater lobster/crayfish -- he has several tanks with them, breeds them (I'm getting some baby zebra lobsters from him soon!), etc. He hasn't had a fish YET that has survived more than a week in a tank with one.

My guess the only ones that MIGHT be "safe" would be the hatchets, as they stay at the very top most of the time I believe. However, my guess is they're going to become expensive feeder-fish.

Good luck. :)

Ooh, that don't sound too good, the person I got it off said that his one has never eaten any of his fish, maybe it's a different breed. I'm not sure what breed it is but I'm going to pick it up in about an hour so I'll post a picture of it on this thread when I get it.

Jay.

This is the lobster I got, it's not as small and blue as I thought? more big and dark, this is a baby! What do you think though? I'll post this on the inverterbret part to try and work out the breed.

Jay.

DSCN3559.jpg

I second Mandi. Though the tetras and platys are essentially middle to top swimmers, they will spend enough time at a low enough level to be caught. They do happily take food from the bottom and, especially the tetras, will rest within easy reach. The rasbora tend to rest a little higher in the water. All corys, loaches and plecs are bottom feeders. I think your safest bet are the hatchets. Note, I have never kept lobsters so I am not knowledgeable in that department, good luck! :)

Cool, thanks for your comments. I already have 4 bite-size platies in there (about 1"), two hours so far and no trouble :D we'll see how it goes. I just looked up on the net and I think it's a blue knight lobster.

Jay.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back