Which low noise filter to choose

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Outzen

Reaction score
Im about to buy a Juwel Vision 260 second hand without any filter in it. I plan to have Bolivian rams, and some other dwarf cichlids, neon tetras, red tetras and possibly som discuss. Thinking I will need a canister filter of some sort, however noise is a big issue so have to go for absolutely low noise, and possible some sort of enclosure. Any recommendations as to which filter to go for?

Hello. Expensive filtration isn't needed as long as you're able to follow an aggressive water change routine. If you're in the habit of removing and replacing half the tank water weekly, a large sponge filter is all you need. They're much less expensive, are easy to clean and don't require replacing expensive filter media.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Im about to buy a Juwel Vision 260 second hand without any filter in it. I plan to have Bolivian rams, and some other dwarf cichlids, neon tetras, red tetras and possibly som discuss. Thinking I will need a canister filter of some sort, however noise is a big issue so have to go for absolutely low noise, and possible some sort of enclosure. Any recommendations as to which filter to go for?

Two things to note here. First is the incompatible stocking in this sized tank (260 liters or 70 gallons). This has several aspects. Temperature is one, you have fish needing very warm water, and fish needing much cooler water. There is no middle ground when it comes to temperature which drives a fish's metabolism and affects the internal physiology. I don't know the actual species of a "red tetra," but it may not be at all suited to discus or other cichlids, depending. Combining different cichlids is not advisable with a few exceptions, tank size enters this as well as the species behaviours.

As for the filter, filtration depends upon the needs of the fish with regard to water flow, first and foremost. The "filtration" aspect may be more or less relevant, depending upon the presence (or not) of live plants--and I would note that all the fish mentioned need a good cover of floating plants for shade, and these are incredible for water quality. A reliable canister will likely be your best option. I have had experience with Eheim Pro 2 canisters and Rena (think this is a different name now).

Hello. Expensive filtration isn't needed as long as you're able to follow an aggressive water change routine. If you're in the habit of removing and replacing half the tank water weekly, a large sponge filter is all you need. They're much less expensive, are easy to clean and don't require replacing expensive filter media.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Sounds right, however this is not the road for me - I’m more likely to aim for a monthly rythem of tending to the aquarium (water change, sponge cleaning etc) …

Two things to note here. First is the incompatible stocking in this sized tank (260 liters or 70 gallons). This has several aspects. Temperature is one, you have fish needing very warm water, and fish needing much cooler water. There is no middle ground when it comes to temperature which drives a fish's metabolism and affects the internal physiology. I don't know the actual species of a "red tetra," but it may not be at all suited to discus or other cichlids, depending. Combining different cichlids is not advisable with a few exceptions, tank size enters this as well as the species behaviours.

As for the filter, filtration depends upon the needs of the fish with regard to water flow, first and foremost. The "filtration" aspect may be more or less relevant, depending upon the presence (or not) of live plants--and I would note that all the fish mentioned need a good cover of floating plants for shade, and these are incredible for water quality. A reliable canister will likely be your best option. I have had experience with Eheim Pro 2 canisters and Rena (think this is a different name now).
Thks for the reply.
Reg. stocking - will definitely look into the specific requirements before deciding - this is just an initial idea

Guess EHEIM 2275 pro 4 would be a good choice in your book - but is it “silent”? And/or if noise is an issue, would you recommend that I made some sort of noise reducing enclosure - like a small custom made cabinet?

Guess EHEIM 2275 pro 4 would be a good choice in your book - but is it “silent”? And/or if noise is an issue, would you recommend that I made some sort of noise reducing enclosure - like a small custom made cabinet?
I can't comment on the noise because I have no experience on that model but IMO it would be overkill. The fish you suggest all have low flow requirements so you would be better off buying a model where your tank is the biggest it is recommended for rather than the smallest. Don't believe the marketing hype that suggests that your water has to circulate 4 or 5 times per hour, its just marketing and a way to get you to spend more. And smaller pumps are quieter.
  • Canister filters are the quietest you can get
  • All of them are efficient, the "pro" is no better than the classic or eco but looks better and the only real benefit is the heater is inside the filter. Your choice if you decide the "pro" price tag is worth that much extra to you.
  • Bigger, more powerful filters do not reduce the need for water changes or filter cleaning.
I have good experience with the Fluval 07 series, 207 would probably be my choice for this tank, but no bigger than 307. Another that I like (currently using) is the Aqua One Ocellaris 850.
Look for something that is easy to prime as the biggest source of noise is air trapped in the canister. Also make sure that what you choose has shutoff valves - it make cleaning much easier (and safer).

Last edited:
I'll disagree with @seangee on overkill - more is better. It has nothing to do with filtration, but water movement. Those fish do like their water moving around, if the natural environment is to be respected. But that's minor, and a disagreement in how to set up..
Problem one for me is what is available in Denmark. The same filters can be sold with different names.

I can say I run one eheim and two fluvals, and they are all sturdy and quiet.

I also run a lot of sponge filters, and that's where the noise comes in. I don't think the poster above took your question about quietness into account. Unless you run a large system with linear piston pumps, air pumps create noise. Bubbling from filters can too. I have my set up in a detached garage so the hum and bubble doesn't bother me, but running a diaphragm pump inside the house? Never again.

I have several Eheim Pro II (an older line long discontinued). However, my oldest one is not 20 years of a nit more. It is still as quiet today as the day I bought it. And I ran pressurized CO2 through it for the first 9 years. If I cannot see the spraybar outputs on the filter are working OK, I have to put my hand on the Eheims so I can feel them running because I cannot hear them. The most recent one went into use about 12 years ago. They had stopped making them by then I bought two NIB on Ebay.

I also run a lot of foam filters. I use mostly Poret foam for these and I use several different ppis- 10, 20 and 30. However, these take up space in a tank, look ugly in terms of a display. I also have a few Hamburg Mattenfilters. After a planted substrate, this is the best form of filtration I have found when one doesn't use live plants. All, of these Poret foam filters are on non display tanks. I do use the 10 ppi foam for my pre-filters, but I also have some of the ATI pre-filters still in use. All of my non-foam filters have a prefilter on thei intake.

I have a couple of larger air pumps running between 12 and 1 outlets. They are not quiet, but are quieter than most smaller air pumps. There are ways to damp the noise substantially.

All of my hang-ons are AquaClears. When kept clean and with straight impeller shafts and impellors, they are all very quiet. Some of them have been going for 20 years or so. With many filters, the most noise is created by the return water, especially if the water level om the tank has dropped some due to evaporation or because one intentionally doesn't completely fill the tank.

I have not purchased a new canister nor hang on in well over a decade now. I have purchased more Poret cubefilters and sheets of Poret and some larger air pumps. I have one canister which is filled 100% with Pore and I only have to clean this every 3+ years whereas the other canisters I clean twice a year.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back