🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently got the filter for my 280L tank, the Fluval FX2. I'm finding it to be quite loud, and I was wondering if there were any FX2 (or FX4/FX6) owners who could share their experience with the noise level of their filters. I know that canister filters must have at least a little noise, but I'm hearing a low rumble/buzzing noise. Similar to an extractor fan or a running shower. I chose this filter for it's lower noise level but it seems loud to me for such an expensive piece of equipment. I paid €300 for it.
My fish keeping territory is restricted to my own bedroom (student living at home), and I have sensory issues. I was hoping this filter would be as quiet as it is marketed.

Does anyone with experience of these kinds of filters have any comments about how loud canister/external filters actually are?
I can't tell if it's just loud to me because of my SPD or if it's actually louder than it should be.

I'm not familiar with this filter. How old is it ?

Maintenance Chart mention impeller cleanup an verification every 3 month, replacement every year. If you got it used I would start with a cleanup and inspection.

Also the replacement part seems to have Two bushings that looks like they are holding each end of the Ceramic shaft in the motor.

I'm not sure if these can be lubricated and how it could be. But there is a slight space of movement. If your shaft is not too wore out, you can lubricate the ceramic shaft with petroleum jelly all along under the magnet, it will surely make thing smoother.

If you are forced to change the impeller, lubricate the new one before installation. Be careful those shafts are really fragile and break easily.

Petroleum jelly is the great silencer.

Last edited:
How old is it ?
I've only had this filter for less than a week. The petroleum jelly wouldn't get into the tank would it? I'm not even sure if it's harmful for that to happen

Never had any complaints from the fishes...

Joking. Even after years in, it doesn't dilute a bit in the water. It stays right there and becomes dirty and must be cleaned out before adding new one.

I have a 30 years old Filter running with it's original impeller on a stainless steel shaft to prove it. And is totally silent at the moment.

If the filter is brand new, check if you don't have a broken shaft... This would go under warrant for sure..

I run a Fluval 407 for my living room 75 gallon, I don't know how much similar they are to the FX Series, but the only time I hear a noise from it is when I have not purged the air from it then it makes a psst, psst noise and a pocket of air comes out of the outflow, it clears up in a while. Yours sounds like the impeller is not seated well, is damaged, or worn out. You might also have an air leak in the intake portion. Finally, most of the canister filters need the canister at least partially below the tank to run well, they depend on a siphon being created between the intake and the canister. If you don't have this the motor has to run harder to pull the water through the filter. If your intake is blocked or not high enough above the canister and the motor assembly you might be getting cavitation at the impellor causing the noise.

I have a Fluval FX4. It is very quiet. I wonder if you have the motor touching the side of a cabinet or something? Or some part of the filter that is vibrating slightly from the action. In my little Fluval Flex, if I don't get the return flow motor set away from the sides, it makes a bunch of noise (and it's very small). Vibration against another surface just amplifies the heck out of the noise.

@MaloK @MuddyWaters @Uberhoust Thank you all for your replies, and sorry for the late response.

If the filter is brand new, check if you don't have a broken shaft... This would go under warrant for sure..
Yes, this weekend I'm going to properly take apart and inspect the filter. I got some petroleum jelly today, so I'll give that a try too.

. Yours sounds like the impeller is not seated well, is damaged, or worn out.
I'm going to check this as soon as I can, it's good to hear your experience with the fluval canister filters.
most of the canister filters need the canister at least partially below the tank to run well
My filter is directly below the tank in the cabinet 👍
You might also have an air leak in the intake portion
I have no idea if this is a problem or how to test for it. I'm definitely going to look into it more.

I wonder if you have the motor touching the side of a cabinet or something? Or some part of the filter that is vibrating slightly from the action
This could possibly be an issue. The filter is not leaning or in direct contact with the cabinet walls, but I think part of the intake hose is? I can't change that without getting a second hose for the filter because the hose I have does the job but the intake hose is to short to move it around much. I also don't really want to move the intake from where it is (which would use less of the hose) because I think it would be ugly in the middle of the tank. Less flow/circulation too, possibly.

Attachments

• IMG_20231221_233145.jpg
    IMG_20231221_233145.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 11
but I think part of the intake hose is? I can't change that without getting a second hose for the filter
you don't have to move anything - you could just tape a piece of felt or cotton or a small stack of tissue paper between the vibrating "offender" and the cabinet to cut the noise.

@MuddyWaters Good idea! Though I had a proper look at the filter today and the noise isn't coming from the hose where it touches the wall.

I had a look at the motor and it didn't seem like anything was damaged. I used a good amount of petroleum jelly to lubricate the moving parts. I don't notice much difference so maybe the noise just feels especially loud to me.

I think I'll look into sound proofing the cabinet to hopefully dim the sound as much as I can

@MuddyWaters @Uberhoust @MaloK
I'm tagging you guys because you've been really helpful in this thread so far and I thought you might have a better idea than me on whether or not this sounds normal for a canister filter :)

Unwanted air should purge automatically on that filter.

Check all your input hoses for air leaking in...

But... That sounds like a knocking impeller to me... Even on my laptop speakers.

It's atrocious.

mine doesn't sound like that at all- especially no crackling- it sounds like there's sediment in the impeller? Mine sounds like a quiet mid-range hiss- just the water going through it. I'll record the sound once the TV is off :)

Here's a clip of the sound of my FX4. There is some ambient noise also, but I think you can tell the difference between cabinet open and closed.

Here's a clip of the sound of my FX4. There is some ambient noise also, but I think you can tell the difference between cabinet open and closed.
Thank you so much for recording that for me. Yours is far quieter than mine from what I can tell.
So far my filter is functioning fine, it's just loud. I took apart the impeller/shaft and greased it with petroleum jelly, and nothing appeared to be broken. From what I see online, the Fx2 has a different impeller than the bigger FX models so maybe that's something to be considered.
I ordered a thick rubber mat used in launderettes under the washing machines, and some acoustic panels from Amazon.co.uk, and they should reduce the noise. Maybe the filter just is a bit noisy, which is amplified by my sensory issues.
If it's still overly intrusive after I add the panels and rubber mat then I'll contact Fluval's customer support, maybe ask for a new motor 🤷‍♀️

My canister sounds like @MuddyWaters, I will say when I start it, I shut it off on water changes, it clatters for about 5 seconds before it becomes quiet, yours sounds like it is still slightly clattering against the housing for the impeller.

Most reactions

Back